2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thoughts on Interstate Batteries??

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 12:36 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pavement_hater
I will never buy another battery made by Johnson Controls. They make the Walmart specials which are the worst battery you could ever buy. They are great if you run your vehicle everyday, just don't let them sit for any length of time. Interstate is a good battery.
Johnson Controls makes the Everstart Maxx batteries. I've got one in my Cub Cadet and my dad's S-10. They are flawless, but time will tell, I've only had them for a year.

The Duralast Red-Top in the Dodge is starting to show its age. The truck takes longer to crank, the lights are dimming more, and its dying on me. I've already had to charge it back up overnight twice in the last few weeks. But it has served me good for the past 5 years I've had it. My next battery will be a Deka.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:37 AM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know who makes napa batteries but they suck ***, I had one in the truck that at **** and got a replacement still under free replacement I took it back cause it leaked next one is still leaking after a couple weeks but holds up to 8 or so hours of music and a bunch of leds

Old 01-17-2011, 05:21 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

NAPA batteries are made by Deka. Not the best, but if you keep the receipt in the glove box you can get warranty service in any dinky town out in the middle of nowhere where you might break down, which is a plus.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:12 AM
96magnumram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 27 series Duralast Gold for my 5.2 about a month ago...I am liking the way it is treating me so far. And knowing I wont have to pay anything for the next 3 years and barely anything for 8 years is good peace of mind.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:44 AM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
NAPA batteries are made by Deka. Not the best, but if you keep the receipt in the glove box you can get warranty service in any dinky town out in the middle of nowhere where you might break down, which is a plus.
I'm not an expert but it seems like some batteries are more tolerant of abuse, especially those batteries owned by people inclined to perform regular maintenance on them. POS trucks which wont start right away in cold weather and said cold weather seems to be the biggest concern but regular battery maintenance goes a long way I'm finding. Luckily my Dodge starts after a couple revolutions most timess even in cold weather. My tired old big block ford could go through batteries and starter solenoids like candy especially when I was living back where there were some real winters.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:15 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Johnson Controls makes the Everstart Maxx batteries.
Actually, according to my research, they don't.

The Everstart Maxx batteries are made by Gould National Battery, Delphi Automotive, or Enertec Mexico. I know someone once stated that they were made by Johnson Controls, but I can't find a shred of proof of that so far.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:32 AM
96magnumram
Professional

From the link posted previously on battery manufacturers, Delphi makes SOME of the Everstart Maxx batteries. With as big as WalMart is, they probably do what Advance Auto does with their oils and ATF's. The oil company I work for blends and packages 1/3 of the Advance Auto Parts branded oils and ATF's sold in North America. It would make total sense if WalMart operated the exact same way with their brand batteries.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:26 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I only use Optima redtops on my Ram for the reasons already mentioned. Great battery.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:24 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by JasonB
I called Autozone and got a quote for $84 on a Duralast "Redtop"..... The guy called it a "7" year battery with 24 month free replacement....

I don't know anything about Duralast (hope I'm spelling this right)..... Any thoughts on this battery.... Does the price seem about right?

Thanks much
Jason

I had one on my wife's mini van and lasted 7 years, so they are good!!!!

Old 01-17-2011, 03:22 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ugly1
I'm not an expert but it seems like some batteries are more tolerant of abuse, especially those batteries owned by people inclined to perform regular maintenance on them.
Once upon a time I actually was a battery expert and I am inclined to agree with you. A cheap battery is a cheap battery and you get what you pay for, but a good one will last much longer if it receives proper periodic maintenance.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Interstate Batteries??