2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thoughts on Interstate Batteries??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 10:11 AM
JasonB
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on Interstate Batteries??

Hi Guys,

Just put a 5,000 mileage (round trip) on my '97 Ram..... Ran flawlessly.... Of course I need to float a loan to pay for the gas. We probably averaged paying $2.90 per gallon or so.... and averaged about 15 MPG.

Now for my question...... I would like your opinions on Interstate Batteries.... My truck will be needing one in less than a year.... My jeep needs one NOW.

What are your thoughts??

Thanks
Jason

Old 01-15-2011, 10:22 AM
notanexit7
Captain

Your lucky. I get 13mpg's in a 2 wheeler and gas is $3.10 here and it's only gonna get higher. I'm gonna start walking. My dad had an interstate battery and it lasted a good 5 years. I'd buy one but petro has claimed my wallet!

Old 01-15-2011, 10:28 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Never had a problem with them. I've never had a problem with Diehard either. That said, when it came time for the ram to get a battery, I went with a red top optima. Just go with something that has a good warranty. Duralast Gold batterys are 3 year replacement 84 month pro rated replacement which is the best I have seen. Either way ya go, you can't really go wrong. Majority of batterys are made by the same company anyway.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:03 PM
JasonB
Professional

I called Autozone and got a quote for $84 on a Duralast "Redtop"..... The guy called it a "7" year battery with 24 month free replacement....

I don't know anything about Duralast (hope I'm spelling this right)..... Any thoughts on this battery.... Does the price seem about right?

Thanks much
Jason

Old 01-15-2011, 12:05 PM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

advance's gold series come with a 3yr free replacement and a longer pro-rated replacement, cant go wrong

Old 01-15-2011, 12:51 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Most Autocraft batteries (Advance Auto) are made by Johnson Controls, which is my favorite battery maker. Both my truck and the wife's Durango have Autocraft Golds (and so did the Jeep before the wife totaled it).

Food for thought:
http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm

Old 01-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Typically if a battery doesn't have a Johnson Controls, a Decca, or an Interstate logo under all the rebadging I'll move on. The discount battery dude on the corner sells Deccas and JCI's rebadged for like 25% lower than one can get elsewhere. Great batteries fr not much $$$. f course the same store will also happily sell you crap for a few bucks less. You just have to ask what manufacturer it really is before purchasing.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:01 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Depends on how you drive it and how you drain it.

I bought a optima red top for 2 reasons: the way they are made and how they stand up to heat. Each cell is sealed separately and suspended in an epoxy resin to reduce breakage from vibration and it defends against the high summer heat down here. I had been replacing batteries every 4 years.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:27 PM
boowish
Rookie

You can't wrong with a interstate battery they are pretty good they stand up with the optima. You should get a optima if you are running an amp or have extra lights but I work at auto zone and the duralast batteries are pretty reasonable price and they work pretty good, im running with a Durlast Gold it has a 8 yr warranty with 3 yr free replacement and it does what i need it to with a fog lights and amp.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:27 AM
pavement_hater
Veteran

I will never buy another battery made by Johnson Controls. They make the Walmart specials which are the worst battery you could ever buy. They are great if you run your vehicle everyday, just don't let them sit for any length of time. Interstate is a good battery.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Interstate Batteries??