2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thoughts on Interstate Batteries??

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 04:25 PM
sungod
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pavement_hater
I will never buy another battery made by Johnson Controls. They make the Walmart specials which are the worst battery you could ever buy. They are great if you run your vehicle everyday, just don't let them sit for any length of time. Interstate is a good battery.

I am guessing you won't buy and interstate since they are made by Johnson Controls. JC also makes the die hard gold as well as the high end walmart battery.

As long as you stay away from Exide which is probably the walmart battery you had, you will be fine.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:38 PM
revvinram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the current time Im running an Interstate battery, which is manufactured by Johnson Controls, I'm a SCM at a shop and we use to be an Interstate dealer when we carried batteries.. I still get Batteries from them once in awhile, several of my employees have Interstates "blemished" batteries in their vehicles, $20.00 bucks each!!! all logos have been removed..
They sell them mainly to used car dealers.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:33 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sungod
interstate since they are made by Johnson Controls.
Intteresting. I didn't know that. Sounds like 3 manufacturers then and all the variations are simply rebadges from one of the three. JCI, Deca, Exide...

Old 01-17-2011, 08:56 PM
revvinram
Professional

Different qualitity on each rebadge though...

Old 01-18-2011, 06:16 AM
pavement_hater
Veteran

I am guessing you won't buy and interstate since they are made by Johnson Controls. JC also makes the die hard gold as well as the high end walmart battery.

As long as you stay away from Exide which is probably the walmart battery you had, you will be fine.
Nope sorry Walmart batteries including the high end which is what I and friends have had are made by Johnson Controls. There is one sitting in my Ram right now only because it was still under free replacement. Otherwise I would have used it for a core. Sad that they can't last more than 6 months and go dead after sitting for a week with no load on them. Best I have had is one that made it a year and a half. They are junk I have never heard anything bad about Interstate, however if Johnson Controls is making them...I'll pass.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:31 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pavement_hater
Nope sorry Walmart batteries including the high end which is what I and friends have had are made by Johnson Controls. There is one sitting in my Ram right now only because it was still under free replacement. Otherwise I would have used it for a core. Sad that they can't last more than 6 months and go dead after sitting for a week with no load on them. Best I have had is one that made it a year and a half. They are junk I have never heard anything bad about Interstate, however if Johnson Controls is making them...I'll pass.
The Walmart batteries are not made by Johnson Controls. The high end Ultras are, but the Maxx units are not (read towards the middle and beginning of the thread, already discussed).

Old 01-18-2011, 10:35 AM
sungod
Veteran

Originally Posted by jasonw
The Walmart batteries are not made by Johnson Controls. The high end Ultras are, but the Maxx units are not (read towards the middle and beginning of the thread, already discussed).
Actually all walmart batteries are made by JC now. http://www.jsonline.com/business/83454852.html

Old 01-18-2011, 10:42 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

I've had my Interstate MTP-27 for about 3 weeks now and love it.

We've had weather in the teens and it started every time.
The truck runs better too and the damn thing won't die in my driveway after having the door open for 30 seconds.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:06 PM
pavement_hater
Veteran

Actually all walmart batteries are made by JC now. http://www.jsonline.com/business/83454852.html
I guess thats why the Johnson Controls battery division that is about 20 miles from my house is getting ready to expand their operation.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:54 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Excellent. This is the info I was looking for but couldn't find, thank you!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Interstate Batteries??