2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lifted truck gearing question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigRedOne
What? Says who? The vast majority of the desert community races on Dana 44's. They're proven nearly indestructible.
With 38" tires and a 6000lb truck above it? Probably not. More like light weight Jeeps and tires smaller then 38". Plus, if they are truely set up for racing, they probably aren't running a factory D44 anyway. I bet lots of them are upgraded to chro-moly shafts for example. I would.

Really, it's the hubs that will fail fastest with that much tire weight anyway, if your transmission doesn't first.

I'd go with nothing less then 4.88. Since that is as low as you can go with the 1500 axles. 5.13's would be better, but you need the D60/70/80's for that.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

What? Says who? The vast majority of the desert community races on Dana 44's. They're proven nearly indestructible.
How about damn near every where you look, where the question is asked. Including several off-road magazines. I didn't just pull that number out of a hat. I have done my research.

And once again, we are NOT RACING. These are street driven, full size trucks, that weigh a hell of a lot more than some jeep, or purpose built desert racer. The world is not composed only of racers, or deserts.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Buellstunter
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really, it's the hubs that will fail fastest with that much tire weight anyway, if your transmission doesn't first.

I'd go with nothing less then 4.88. Since that is as low as you can go with the 1500 axles. 5.13's would be better, but you need the D60/70/80's for that.[/quote]

Agreed. Would love the 5.13 since I have OD. And I am 100% gonna do the dana 60 swap. Since I bought the truck less than a month ago and only saved $4500 to buy a truck and spent $3800 of it on the truck and a little more for the normal tune-up/fluid changes etc.. Cash isn't that abundant. lol. I Just want to use the truck now, without making the damage to the tranny any greater than it already is.. Since I can swap the gears myself it will help with the tranny load. I understand it may be a waste of money. But after the gears are done. I can use the truck till I find a set of dana 60"s some gears for them and a set of rims. And I plan on selling the wheels and even the axles when I get the conversion done to offset some of the cost. cause i'm sure there will be someone else in my shoes that will need axles with gears.

Last edited by Buellstunter; 01-17-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I don't think you will have any problem at all finding a buyer for your re-geared axles.

I completely understand the scarcity of money thing too.....

Old 01-17-2011, 06:38 PM
TheBigRedOne

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
With 38" tires and a 6000lb truck above it? Probably not. More like light weight Jeeps and tires smaller then 38". Plus, if they are truely set up for racing, they probably aren't running a factory D44 anyway. I bet lots of them are upgraded to chro-moly shafts for example. I would.

A Ram 1500 in the heaviest factory configuration does not 6000lbs. Not by a longshot. The heaviest configuration for the 1500 was an Extended cab long bed, which had a curb weight of 4649lbs.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...m-pickup-6.htm

Curb weight is substantially less then the GVWR number on the door.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_v..._weight_rating

Factory Dana 44 snouts are immensely popular for racing because they just don't fail. Come out to any southwest junkyard and find a vehicle that had D44's. Chances are someone already came by and yanked it. There are a number of companies that actually make kits to mate D44 parts to their spindles, because they're that strong.

Originally Posted by HeyYou

And once again, we are NOT RACING. These are street driven, full size trucks, that weigh a hell of a lot more than some jeep, or purpose built desert racer. The world is not composed only of racers, or deserts.
Everyone likes to try and belittle what I say because I race. Racing takes these parts and components to their absolute limit and often past them.

You think a full sized pickup weighs more then a purpose built race truck? HA

The curb weight of my Expedition is over 6700lbs, with no interior. That weight comes from steel tube, suspension, and equipment. My last ranger weighed 5950 exactly, which is heavier then a 1500 Ram in the heaviest available configuration.

Race trucks weigh far more then their street counterparts, and they're beat much harder. I suggest you do your research before you try and cut down what I say again.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:10 PM
outdoortoys
Amateur

Boy- the sand flea is getting a little cranky.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:23 PM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by outdoortoys
Boy- the sand flea is getting a little cranky.
what? not necessary!

although i would have to agree that our "hub assemblies" are not exactly reliable... not to say that the rest of the axle cant be upgraded

Old 01-17-2011, 07:32 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A Ram 1500 in the heaviest factory configuration does not 6000lbs. Not by a longshot. The heaviest configuration for the 1500 was an Extended cab long bed, which had a curb weight of 4649lbs.
My little Dakota is 4100lbs stock. Stock 97-04 Dakotas in the same configuration as mine are 4500lbs easy, a 1500 CC long bed will be a lot heavier.
Factory Dana 44 snouts are immensely popular for racing because they just don't fail. Come out to any southwest junkyard and find a vehicle that had D44's. Chances are someone already came by and yanked it. There are a number of companies that actually make kits to mate D44 parts to their spindles, because they're that strong.
Dodge D44 uses unit bearings, nice try though.

And who is desert racing with a solid axle? D44 TTB yes, solid no. TTB is a completely different animal and will take the landings a lot better. And who desert races with 38" tires, 35" is usually the most common.

Anything over a 35-36" tires is pushing it with a D44, both shafts, bearings and ballpoint wise. We aren't talking about going fast, we're talking about low range, trails, rocks, mudpits, ruts, ect.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:50 PM
TheBigRedOne

Originally Posted by Hahns5.2
My little Dakota is 4100lbs stock. Stock 97-04 Dakotas in the same configuration as mine are 4500lbs easy, a 1500 CC long bed will be a lot heavier.
Dodge D44 uses unit bearings, nice try though.

And who is desert racing with a solid axle? D44 TTB yes, solid no. TTB is a completely different animal and will take the landings a lot better. And who desert races with 38" tires, 35" is usually the most common.

Nope, heaviest configuration of a first gen dakota was 3528lbs.
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...e-dakota-6.htm Why don't people understand what curb weight is?

I have a friend who races on a pair of D44's. 09 JK wrangler that weighs over 5k with the cage, suspension and tires. Neither axle is trussed, and he's yet to damage anything. He's competed in 2 races with it so far, and numerous desert trips, without any issue.

Who races on 38's? Uh, lots of people. 37" is the average size of a trophy truck tire. Riviera and Richer both ran 38's last season.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Well, you will have to pardon me that I don't just take your word for it, when EVERY other resource I can find doesn't agree with you.

Quick Reply: Lifted truck gearing question?