2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS Codes

Old 01-18-2011, 10:03 AM
moldymac
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Codes

I am trying to figure out what is wrong with the ABS on my 96 Ram 5.2l. I use to have an intermittent ABS light only, I replaced the rear ABS sensor and that took care of the issue for a while. A few months later the brakes would randomly pulse under normal driving conditions, and the ABS light came on and has been on for a few months now. The brake light comes and goes at random. I read that you can get the ABS codes by jumping pin 13 on the DLC to ground to get it to blink out the codes, but I don't see a connector on pin 13 in my DLC. Am I suppose to jump it at the DLC under the dash or is there a separate connector for the ABS on my truck? Thanks!

Old 01-18-2011, 10:13 AM
BamaRam97
Veteran

If my understanding is right from what I have learned in the last week with my ABS light the only sensor on the system on a 94-97 is on top of the rear differential unless you got the 4 wheel anti lock break as an extra when you bought the truck. If you are just looking for the code take it to an auto parts store and they can read that. Most likely it is just the sensor on top of the rear diff.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:22 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Try this and see what comes up, https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...code-list.html

What brand sensor did you purchase?
Check the connection at the sensor for corrosion, unplug it and plug it back in a few times.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:39 AM
moldymac

Unfortunatly I have an analog odomoter, so that really doesn't apply to me. And BTW, this truck has the 4 wheel ABS option.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,167 Likes on 2,921 Posts

Call around to your local parts stores, and see if any of them have a scanner that will read the ABS codes.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:51 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by moldymac
Unfortunatly I have an analog odomoter, so that really doesn't apply to me. And BTW, this truck has the 4 wheel ABS option.

You can still do the same key trick, just count the light flashes. Whether or not ABS codes will come up, I don't know.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:03 PM
VEETEN
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

97 and up require a DRB II scan tool. You could be during the transition if pin 13 doesn't have a wire, ( maybe the fact it has the 4WAL it needs the scanner because of more parts to check).
Back when I was trying to find someone to read my ABS codes. I found that the chains like AZ, Advance, O'reily won't read ABS codes for fear of lawsuits.
The actron brakescan only works on 02-05 rams (I bought one of those on a gamble). But some good local garages will have a DRB II compatable scan tool which will pick up your code.
I thought also that ABS codes are read as C codes not P codes, I'm not sure though.
Have you done any work on the front of your truck recently? Ball joints, brakes, bearings?

Last edited by VEETEN; 02-10-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:24 PM
moldymac

Tried the ignition trick, got nothing out of it. I too tried the Actron scanner and found it doesn't work on any of my mid 90's cars. I borrowed a scanner from a friend of mine that claimed to do ABS and it was the same deal (don't remember the brand). Looks like I'll have to get the codes scanned by someone. I haven't done any work on the front end, the light was intermittent when I bought the truck and just lived with it.
One point of interest, the brake light didn't come on until about a week before I blew the brake line that goes along side the gas tank. I replaced the line and bleed the system, but the light still comes and goes at random.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:48 PM
VEETEN
Captain

Mine kicked the lights on after I did my ball joints and universals, I didn't put the sensor back correct and the rotor cut into the abs sensor cable.
I'm wondering if the PO replaced parts on the front and the tone rings aren't the same, or some crap is built up on the sensors.
Does it come on while driving or while braking? Both?

I'd re bleed the system Right Rear, Left rear, right front, Left front.
Recheck your sensor connections as Z-man said, Including the 2 front ones.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:57 PM
VEETEN
Captain

Re reading here, since the ABS has been on solid and the brake light is random now, check your brake switch, there was a TSB on the parking brake needing adjustment and the switch at the pedal being stuck, something like that.

EDIT this was for the parking brake not fully releasing, symptoms are brake light blinking while out of park, mine still does this once in a while and I use my foot to lift the pedal the last 1/8" and light goes away.

Last edited by VEETEN; 01-19-2011 at 07:14 PM. Reason: brake sticking

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABS Codes