2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Huge pisser.. what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 11:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Over-revving the engine will do horrible things to various parts.... tossing rods, bending pushrods, and a few other nasty things. If they were out beating on it, they should be responsible for repairs. The fact that you also work with/for them, is going to seriously complicate matters.......

Was it making the noise when you picked it up? If it was, did they say anything about it??

Old 01-19-2011, 11:21 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

we all heard it. we all kinda stopped and looked at the truck for a second, and then back to each other.. In retrospect, they were watching my reaction too..

I had already been told about the exhaust pipes rubbing something to do with the lift- and figured it was an exhaust leak due to them pulling this way and than on the pipes.. I just figured 'I guess I need to tighten the header bolts, or collector flanges'.. I really didn't think that much of it... at the time..

while driving it home, I realized it is far too much of a tickticktick than a tsktsktsk- and got a little worried.. Got home and broke out the redneck stethoscope (screwdriver) and found the area it's coming from with relative certainty.. And excused an exhaust leak via Seafoam..

I've no doubt- either they, or the alignment shop wound that biyatch up.. The mud is inexcusable and inescapable evidence as far as I'm concerned too..

Making them responsible for anything is a pipe-dream.. I'm flat out effed on that matter. It would be in my best interest not to even mention it to them- but I know me, and I know this is going to get ugly..

I was praying it was a rocker roller loose.. I knew I was reaching though.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

So, basically, if you bitch about it, and talk about legal action, you will lose your job..... they can do whatever they want, and you can't say boo.... Not if you want to continue working there at any rate.

You might want to just test the waters.... and mention to them that the truck is making an expensive noise, that it wasn't making when you brought it to them.... and you know the truck has been out on the trails/bogs/whathaveyou, and it would be nice if they would fix what they broke.... and see what happens. Just be calm, cool, and nonchalant about it, and see what happens. If they deny taking it out..... or, try and blow it off..... well, then its up to you. How much do you like working there? Do you think that is going to continue to be the case if you end up having to replace a motor? Or even if you don't?

Old 01-19-2011, 11:39 PM
drewactual
Champion

here's the punchline: they still have work to do that has been paid for.. Skyjacker Softride leaves on the back- my leaves are shot.. already ordered, awaiting arrival and install.

I'm going to tell 'em point blank I'm sure. I'll come up with a way to say it without being a total ***... The thing about my job is that it is a silly small community where everyone knows everyone worldwide.. stepping in Scheiße of this flavor will have long reaching impact.. In better terms: I'm effed- because of the situation, and because I know me- who will get me there even if the situation doesn't..

Old 01-20-2011, 01:49 AM
4085spd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Diagnosing a bad hydraulic lifter.
Get motor hot. Remove valve cover bolts (10) leaving valve cover in place. Start truck and rev it a few times in attempt to pump up the lifters. Kill the motor and remove valve cover. Grab a srewdriver of some sort and place it between the valve spring retainer and rocker in an attempt to push the rocker up thus pushing the p-rod down bleeding the lifter out. How fast does the lifters in question bleed out? Or does it bleed out at all? Good lifter will take a good amount of force and time to bleed out. I wouldnt rule out a valve spring breakage. 5k max on stock springs. You can depress them by hand there that weak. 80#@ installed isnt much.

Last edited by 4085spd; 01-20-2011 at 02:32 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:34 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mine been making a ticking noise for 6 months now. i dunno . did you check for an exhaust leak ? maybe a bolt came loose ?

also did you change out the spring when you did the 1.7 HS

im curious to find out what wrong ?

also any pics of the lift ?

Old 01-20-2011, 02:43 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyinHighDodge
I have the same tick. Been dealing with it for about two days then stopped driving it. Most common are the lifters, you might have it easier on the 360, apparently I have to remove the heads to change mine(5.7 hemi), not so sure for the 360. Dont take to much time, pretty soon you will be doin the whole block!
you have famous hemi tick, were dealing with something totally diffrent, check out 3rd gen for your problem .

Old 01-20-2011, 02:57 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hate to be a 5h17 but: have you ruled out the PCV valve? Those damned things will tick to beat h377 sometimes. Check that before lowering heaven, if you haven't already.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:06 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drewactual
here's the punchline: they still have work to do that has been paid for.. Skyjacker Softride leaves on the back- my leaves are shot.. already ordered, awaiting arrival and install.

I'm going to tell 'em point blank I'm sure. I'll come up with a way to say it without being a total ***... The thing about my job is that it is a silly small community where everyone knows everyone worldwide.. stepping in Scheiße of this flavor will have long reaching impact.. In better terms: I'm effed- because of the situation, and because I know me- who will get me there even if the situation doesn't..

Dammit man. Nothing like getting shoved right in the middle of a two hard places.

So everyone knows everyone eh? I know exactly how this works (my school had 500 kids... K-12, with about 20 in my graduating class). Now to me this seems like it is kinda in your favor, no? I mean, your the one in the "right", not the fellas who flogged your truck and wont fess up about it. Its kinda hard to have a successfully "off road shop" when you pull something like this and don't man up to it. Taking a customers rig out mudding after a good days work is absolutely uncalled for (unless customer is in the know and doesn't care). And then damaging the motor internally and standing there looking at you like theres no clue in the world? C'mon.

And, you say these guys are your friends? Or just work buds? I don't know a single friend of mine who would do that to MY truck. I mean, half of them are crazy enough to completely destroy there own vehicle out in the sticks, and I think it is all great and fun... especially to watch from the sidelines. But, do it to my truck, without me knowing, and I think I would be short a friend or two.

I am not even sure I would even take it back to let them finish working on my truck. Maybe they could completely kill the motor the next time I would be demanding all my money back for the labor, and then figuring out exactly WTF is wrong with the motor and sending that repair bill on too.

I don't even know these guys and they already rubbed me wrong and got my blood pressure soaring hahahahahaha.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:51 AM
drewactual
Champion

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
I hate to be a 5h17 but: have you ruled out the PCV valve? Those damned things will tick to beat h377 sometimes. Check that before lowering heaven, if you haven't already.
that was the very first thing I reached for when I figured I wasn't dealing with an exhaust leak..

I stopped at a garage this morning where a dude I somewhat trust works. He said it was a lifter before I even opened the hood. He confirmed where I said it was too.

Looks like I'm pulling the FI this weekend.

yay me.

Quick Reply: Huge pisser.. what would you do?