2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Huge pisser.. what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:54 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That would make me want to cut somebody.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:08 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't do well in a situation like that. I have a bad habit of acting or speaking first then think about it later. I have mellowed some in the last several years. Don't get as mad as quick but still just as mad sometimes.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:55 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by drewactual
I've had that damn intake off four times in the past four months.. On the bright side, I'm 'whut you call an effin' EXPER- er, uh -ienced at it now..

There was nothing but a smooth riding engine when I took it to them.. Now it clacks like no tomorrow- It is in the higher range, and very audible.. My first notion after investigating was lifter, and that is where I'm thinking the issue is now based on what cmckenna said.. HOPE, in other words..

I was thinking the rod may be bent based on the side block noise.

I guess I'll go back into it this weekend..

eff me..

edited to ask: What causes a bent lifter?
Coil spring bind, rocker arm to stud interference, loss of timing (pre-ignition / detonation), stuck lifter, stuck / bent valve stem / worn valve guides or overwinding the motor can cause a bent push rod. Either way, in order for this to occur there must be a restrictive or opposing force upon the rod. While the lifter is pushing upward as it rides on the cam, there's an opposing force on the other end that induces a compression of the rod thus bending it to the side.

It should also be noted that the motor will not run smooth after this has occurred. It may pop (if exhaust valve was involved) or it may misfire and run lean (if intake valve was involved) due to the valve not being able to open fully.

CM

Old 01-20-2011, 01:27 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't seen any codes yet.. I can feel a lope at idle that wasn't there before.. I can count the times on one hand I've wound that truck to 5kRPM, and rarely am I above 4k- hell, rarely am I above 3500.. It does everything I need it to do down low..

I've secured the crap needed to tear it down in the morning.. Dang lifters are expensive! I bought 8, figuring I would just take back what I don't need.. It's a floggin' dang shame that I have to use a new intake gasket- the one i just used installing the FI a month or so ago still looks like new peeking out from underneath the heads and intake manifold. Damn it Jim..

I've noticed only a slight loss of power, but I've definitely lost some..

I'm thinking it was just over-revved.. I could SO see them hitting the mud and breaking the **** end free spinning the wheels at 120mph.. It is what it is.. I'll deal with it..

Old 01-20-2011, 01:39 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

have you checked your cap and rotor. i took mine off and the metal peice to the rotor was all mangled up . mine taps a lil too but it just gets faster with more RPMS didnt notice any power loss or hesitation

Old 01-20-2011, 01:43 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lastrights
have you checked your cap and rotor. i took mine off and the metal peice to the rotor was all mangled up . mine taps a lil too but it just gets faster with more RPMS didnt notice any power loss or hesitation
Used a stethoscope. It's definitely under the intake manifold, and definitely the #1 or #3 cylinder- most likely #1..

Old 01-20-2011, 01:48 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ah crap prob something need to do :/ def dont have any money after the airgap to do all this. been riding like this for 6 months now. hopefully it wont blow anytime soon .

may just buy a 360 on craigslist and put new pistons in and put all my stuff on the current motor and put it on the new

what stock pistons would have new better comprossion for more power ? maybe go with the r/t10 cam also ?

Old 01-20-2011, 02:33 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Why the hell were they mudding your truck? Small town, coworkers or not, I would raise hell.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:44 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

+1, what a bunch of crap! Been following this thread. I'm in shock that you would even attempt to fix/diagnose the problem yourself! Knowing that they took it out and beat the shat out of it. Something is not right here!

Old 01-20-2011, 02:44 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by drewactual
It's a floggin' dang shame that I have to use a new intake gasket- the one i just used installing the FI a month or so ago still looks like new peeking out from underneath the heads and intake manifold.
If it's nothing more than lifters/pushrods, why pull the intake?

Quick Reply: Huge pisser.. what would you do?