2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Huge pisser.. what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 09:28 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Huge pisser.. what would you do?

about the engine... I've got my hands full with the situation..

I got my lift.. It looks good and drives great.. I dig it.. The guys who did it for me are guys I work with (for), and they have their fabrication shop on the side- and this makes this a tricky situation for sure..

Anyway, aside from the 'situation', I need some advice about the engine.

.. Something is ticking.. hard.. it's coming from either the #1 or #3 cylinder.. I heard it when I first got into the truck, and assumed it was an exhaust leak. I figured they had been prying on this or that, and likely opened one of the junctions up.. But that isn't it.. Seafoam agrees.. (bestest way in the world I've found to find an exhaust leak).. anyway: it's def internal.

I pulled the valve covers on that side, in hopes that one of the rocker arms had wiggled loose, or even that they had somehow floated the rocker roller off one of the pushers.. I had 8 new pushers at hand to address it too.. Nope.. It's deeper than that..

The ticking can be plainly heard coming from under the intake manifold above the #1 and/or #3 cylinder, and from under the heads on the block.. There are only so many things it can be, and none of them are good.

SOOOO- there is zero sense in opening that thing up that deep without rebuilding- or swapping.. in my opinion anyway.. But it's not like cash is falling from the heavens either though- I wanted to stroke it by next winter anyway, but I'm not financially prepared for it..

Three questions:

1. What the hell is ticking? (I think I already know what the answer is, I just want to hear someone else say it)

2. Now that the fuse has been lit, how long would 'yall guess I have?

3. reman 360 cammed and ported, or stroked 360 (408)? I've always loved the idea of a 408, but I can put all that $$$ to porting and camming a 360, and get similar or even better numbers than I could from a (lets call it basic) 408.. Thoughts on that?

Old 01-19-2011, 09:51 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Could be a lifter, or a wrist pin.

Lifter easy, take off manifold, remove rocker arm, remove spider retainer, pull out pushrod, pull offending lifter, plunk new one in.

Wrist pin, not so easy.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:54 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did this just appear after the lift kit was installed or, was this an ongoing issue?

That ticking could simply be a lifter gone south. If it's under the intake, it's most likely a lifter clacking. This tone is quite audible, very percussive, on the higher end of frequency range and very distinct. This noise migrates up the rod into the valvetrain area thus making it appear at the head level.

It could also be rooted at the valvetrain level but, I'd have to hear it and feel it in order to better pinpoint where it's rooted. Sharp, distinct ticking is usually rooted in the lifters. You may want to try higher viscosity / different oil and higher flow filter to see if that helps curb the noise any.

Good luck on that one.

CM

Old 01-19-2011, 09:55 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh and to answer the question in the thread title:

Start a career in adult film industry.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:58 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You could drop the oil pan and re-bearing that push rod, also could be a wrist bearing.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:06 PM
drewactual
Champion

I've had that damn intake off four times in the past four months.. On the bright side, I'm 'whut you call an effin' EXPER- er, uh -ienced at it now..

There was nothing but a smooth riding engine when I took it to them.. Now it clacks like no tomorrow- It is in the higher range, and very audible.. My first notion after investigating was lifter, and that is where I'm thinking the issue is now based on what cmckenna said.. HOPE, in other words..

I was thinking the rod may be bent based on the side block noise.

I guess I'll go back into it this weekend..

eff me..

edited to ask: What causes a bent lifter?

Old 01-19-2011, 10:10 PM
drewactual
Champion

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
Oh and to answer the question in the thread title:

Start a career in adult film industry.
in my present state of mind, that took me a second..

I'm floggin' rollin' man!!!! Thanks for that!!

Old 01-19-2011, 10:10 PM
FlyinHighDodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same tick. Been dealing with it for about two days then stopped driving it. Most common are the lifters, you might have it easier on the 360, apparently I have to remove the heads to change mine(5.7 hemi), not so sure for the 360. Dont take to much time, pretty soon you will be doin the whole block!

Old 01-19-2011, 11:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

Did the guys that put the lift on there take it for a test drive by any chance? I would hate to think that they took your truck out, and blew it up..... that just wouldn't be nice. I can see how that would make for a ticklish situation......

Pull the intake, have a look. See what you find.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:06 PM
drewactual
Champion

Oh they ran it for certain.. hard.. it has mud in places I didn't know had places.. what would cause a bent lifter anyway? running the thing way up the tach and holding it there?

Quick Reply: Huge pisser.. what would you do?