2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sick of my Auto Tranny, can I put in a manual.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 10:50 AM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cs...151980292.html

This is the add, let me if you think it to high. I am not to concerned with the miles, I have seen some with way more then that still running hard as ever.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Wow. That looks pretty good. Might be a bit high, but, its a diesel...... Which also implies it has the meaner 47RH trans.

Lotta truck though, extended cab long bed? Holy smoke.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:54 AM
dodgeboy7
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dodgetruck2
Ok, I kind of new clutch and throw bearing were a manual thing, the main area I was getting confused was the flywheel/flexplate thing.

dodgeboy: did you do the swap yourself or did you buy it like that. I have a couple questions that you may have seen previosuly concerning the PCM and the driveshaft.

Did the drive shafts interchange, and what was your donor truck. Also, what did you have to do concerning your PCM.

Also, if you did it yourself, how hard was it. Any major problem that I am going to run into, or by having the donor truck do most of the problems concerning parts go away?

I don't expect the manual to last forever, but it will last a helluva lot longer then any automatic (atleast a dodge auto). It isn't just a reliability factor, I like manuals. I like the shifting and the control you have. My dad and grandpa are both running sticks and I love driving either of them. I drive a semi or silage truck all summer and I love that to.

I going to try to answer all your question. But i am still putting the manual in. I just started last weekend. My truck is a 1997 1500 5.2 auto. My donor truck was a 1997 2500 5.9 manual. I bought a flywheel for a 5.2 but i bought the clutch for the 2500 5.9. My trans at this point is bolted in and every thing fits fine, the cross member is the same and bolts right back in. Only thing that i seen you guys forgot about is the crank sensor is diff, you have to buy one for a manual. The sensor is just shorter.

As far as the drive shafts and pcm go still working on that. The front drive shift is the same the slip joint takes care of that. Rear drive shaft, idk yet i need to get the transfor case in (hopfull this weekend). Now the pcm i am talking to hemi but all so have a guy that works at dodge that i am going to talk to this weekend about and hopefully just reflash my pcm for a manual not an auto. Becuase hemi want me to buy a 300 wide band gauge and tune it that way. Worst comes to worst i do it that way.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:08 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Just did the blue book value and it came up at 6400 in excellent condition.

What do you think mine is worth with the auto in it at 155k?

I know I want the longbox because after havin gthe SB it sucks.

Quick Reply: Sick of my Auto Tranny, can I put in a manual.