2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What Oil to Use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 10:59 PM
justfrfun
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm using Mobile one 5w40 synthetic, I change it every 6,000 mile and the filter every 3,000

Old 01-20-2011, 11:26 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I just changed mine to some Rotella T 15W-40 and a Motorcraft FL-1A.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Beaters
Amateur

Thanks for the help guys, definitely gives me some options to look at. I was thinking of going 10W-30 synthetic, but will take a look at the other options as well.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:18 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesn't matter what oil you use, just as long as you change it every 3K miles (With a filter of course).

I figure 20-26 bucks every 3K (conventional-synthetic) is a worthwhile investment. I use synthetic and change every 3K OR 3 Months, whichever comes first. But that is because I am really obsessive-compulsive about oil changes.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:01 AM
candymancan
Veteran

I've been using the Valvoline high mileage synthetic blend 10w-30 for 2 of my last oil changes. I also been using those Purolator Plus filters. The yellow ones. Seems to be getting the Job done. Changed the first one at 4300 miles and the 2nd one i just put in not to long ago. Seems like it really cleaned the engine out good. I should have probably changed it sooner then 4300 miles because when i drained it the oil was pretty much dark black.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:32 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
It doesn't matter what oil you use, just as long as you change it every 3K miles (With a filter of course).

I figure 20-26 bucks every 3K (conventional-synthetic) is a worthwhile investment. I use synthetic and change every 3K OR 3 Months, whichever comes first. But that is because I am really obsessive-compulsive about oil changes.
The 3,000 mile oil change is a myth, even with conventional oil. Today's oils can go a minimum of 7,500 miles between changes. I have been using Mobil 1 Synthetic since rebuilding my engine and change the oil every 6,000 miles but am planning to alter that to every 7,500 unless I go with Royal Purple, which will increase that to 15,000 miles.

I've heard all of this before -- "My dad's cousin's next door neighbor knew a guy who was a mechanic for 83 years and he always said blah blah blah blah and to drink Ovaltine." The 3,000 mile figure was something randomly picked out of the air years back when people rarely put 25,000 miles on a car for the duration it was owned. I'll dig up some links I have that show how viscosity doesn't even start to break down in 5,000 miles, and to be quite honest, the best course of action would be to change the filter several times before even changing the oil as it is the particulate matter than causes problem long before the oil begins to break down.

The filter choice is another story as all filters are NOT created equal. ie, Fram is the most expensive filter but the worst of the lot.

Last edited by Gary-L; 01-22-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:19 AM
grox
Veteran

Particulate contaminates are another consideration when figuring an OTI. Here in Phoenix the is a TON of dust, which gets in the oil. Blowby will also be a consideration.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Oil change interval is an often debated topic. Obviously.......

The interval you choose should reflect your driving style, if you do mostly short trips, where the engine doesn't get to spend much time at operating temp, shorter intervals are necessary, as contaminants build up in the oil. If you do longer trips, so those contaminants have a chance to be boiled out of the oil, you can go longer between changes.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:10 PM
lazyboy
Rookie

this has been a subject of great debate on several forums I frequent. this is what I have gleaned.
changing every 3k cant hurt but synthetics really can go a bit longer?
castrol gtx was chemically anylised against many others and found to have certain property's that lend itself to betterr lub.. there were others listed with these compounds as well but they were expensive oils (i chose to ignore) because i chang oil often.
not sure if this is one of those cases that the more expensive is for sure the better? but pretty sure continuous maintenance is key.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

I use the cheap advance auto store brand oil. But then, I have been changing my oil about every 150 miles lately....... keep getting roped into doing something rude that requires an oil change. I am hoping I am done with that kind of behavior though.... Hopefully.

I always thought that one of the major driving factors behind synthetic oil was extended oil change intervals. Most of the ads I see are touting "Doesn't break down like regular oil"...... which to me, would imply a longer service life. So... by that doctrine, using a synthetic oil, but, sticking to standard oil change intervals, is a waste of money.

I stick with dino oil, change it on a regular basis, and have yet to smoke a motor because of oil/sludge buildup problems.

Lost the engine in my Olds Omega, many moons ago, but, that one had a boatload of miles on it when I got it, and hadn't been very well cared for. (not to mention they were junk when they were still sitting on the showroom floor..... early 80's model.)