2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What Oil to Use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 05:12 PM
candymancan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Synthetic Oil Life Study

That's another great read chock full of information and observations. Quite honestly, two filter changes for every oil change wouldn't hurt one bit, because the filter plays an important role in removing contaminants. Also, there is still the myth that an engine having run on Dino oil cannot run Synthetic as Synthetic (allegedly) seeps past the seals. Again, all BS. My 2002 Cavalier ran conventional oil for the first 32K miles until I switch to Synthetic, which continued until it was wrecked with 143K on the clock. Like my truck, the engine ran smooth as silk.

I think when people say this its with old engines. 32k miles is still considered new or newish IMO, that car is only 2-3 years old. I think they are talking about vehicles with over 100k miles and then switching to full synthetic.

All i know is when i switched to a synthetic blend, because i didnt want to go to full synthetic right away was that after 4k miles the oil was really thick and black black in color. Not brown but black, So it had to have been doing its Job and cleaned the engine out really good. This is why I refilled the Inline 6 with the same oil.

I dont have oil leaks, except on the rear seal of the valve cover but that is common for the inline 6 engines. Im just not sure after reading this thread if i should continue using this oil, and also put it into my 5.9 or if i should switch back to a full dino oil and if i do what brand ?

Old 01-25-2011, 05:33 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Mm that picture looks like the guy in your avatar.. I assume thats you ?
Does anyone on this forum listen to music that is worth a crap and have a few good albums? The guy in VW's avatar is Alice Cooper.

I guess this will become a once a week thing, like "How can I get more power and MPGs out of my Ram?"

Old 01-25-2011, 05:51 PM
candymancan
Veteran

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Does anyone on this forum listen to music that is worth a crap and have a few good albums? The guy in VW's avatar is Alice Cooper.

I guess this will become a once a week thing, like "How can I get more power and MPGs out of my Ram?"

Never heared of him nope, I like music that I like. Not what you like. I bet you have never heared of any of the artists I like.. I born in 86, not in the 60's or 70's. I prefer music in the 90's and the 00's. Not rock n roll from the 70's and 80's. I prefer softer, quieter music, thats easy on the ears. I dont like listening to nothing but electric guitars and some guy screaming in the microphone, there are exceptions to songs that have a good tone to em but im just not a fan of most of the 80's stuff.

I like only very few songs from the 80's. You cant go on saying does anyone listen to music that worth a crap just because you like it. Thats pretty baised. I looked him up just now and yea thats not something i would listen too.

Last edited by candymancan; 01-25-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:57 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know OEM oil for GM is M1. I've stated this before in other threads and seen here
The owner thought he'd blown a rod. We asked him which oil he was running and he told us it was OEM. OEM with Chevy is M1.
. The point was, the engine was clacking and was losing hydraulic pressure at the lifters and, after changing it out to Dino oil, the problem went away.

I've always changed my oil on time and, I've seen debris in my engine after using synthetic motor oils. Every three weeks the oil is being changed out on my vehicle and, I've been doing this since I had the truck. It's not due to not changing the oil.

CM

Last edited by cmckenna; 01-25-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:00 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by candymancan
Never heared of him nope, I like music that I like. Not what you like. I bet you have never heared of any of the artists I like.. I born in 86, not in the 60's or 70's. I prefer music in the 90's and the 00's. Not rock n roll from the 70's and 80's. I prefer softer, quieter music, thats easy on the ears. I dont like listening to nothing but electric guitars and some guy screaming in the microphone.

I like only very few songs from the 80's. You cant go on saying does anyone listen to music that worth a crap just because you like it. Thats pretty baised. I looked him up just now and yea thats not something i would listen too.
I was just kidding. Listen to whatever the hell you like and be happy about it. I was born in 1995 and listen to music from the '60s to about the '90s. All good rock that has great instrumentals and vocals. I hate crap that is just screaming in your ear. You'd find it hard to believe, but there is more to rock than electric gutiars and someone screaming into a microphone.
Age has absolutley nothing to do with what era music you listen to.

Oh and on oil, run whatever the hell you like or whatevers on sale. There is not an oil on the market that will send a rod through the block, except for canola. Run a good filter and change it in a reasonable interval. You cant argue with that. Opinions are like ********, everyone has one and they all stink. And there are too many opinions on oil.

Last edited by PurplDodge; 01-25-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:06 PM
candymancan
Veteran

I was just kidding. Listen to whatever the hell you like and be happy about it. I was born in 1995 and listen to music from the '60s to about the '90s. All good rock that has great instrumentals and vocals. I hate crap that is just screaming in your ear. You'd find it hard to believe, but there is more to rock than electric gutiars and someone screaming into a microphone.
Age has absolutley nothing to do with what era music you listen to.

Usually it does.. For example, my mom's 50 year old boyfriend constantly listens to that stuff from the 70's. My brother born in the 90's is one of those teens that listen to all that crappy pop today.

Have you ever heared of Sia, or Butteryfly Boucher, or Enya , Or Loreena mckennitte ? Those are just some of the artists i like. There is always the artists from the past and today i only like 1 or 2 of these songs, like lada gaga, and stuff from the 80's. I just like certain songs i dunno

Listen to these songs and tell me what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B7sH5QLyXY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAgP1mxOFB8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRMj1...eature=related

http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/1451347

Last edited by candymancan; 01-25-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:03 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
I'm saying his claiming Synthetic oil is incompatible with Magnum engines is a crock. There is something else going on and I bet he didn't even bother to perform a tear down to properly diagnose the issue.

It's like everyone on this board who claims running a 180º thermostat will make the engine run cooler. It's BS.

I honestly wouldn't know. Just figured I'd poiint out the recent posts since it caused me to do a double take. I'd never heard it before. Healthy debate is good.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:10 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ugly1
I honestly wouldn't know. Just figured I'd poiint out the recent posts since it caused me to do a double take. I'd never heard it before. Healthy debate is good.
If it was this forum, I think I know who it was and we determined the engine had been neglected by the previous owner. Many of us are running synthetics, and for anyone to say synthetic oil won't work with hydraulic lifers makes me laugh.

In any event, it seems that the topics never to discuss with people are religion, sex, politics, and motor oil.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:12 PM
thetypezero
Rookie

This is my whole take on this. Opinions are like ***holes. Everyone has one lol
I don't trust synthetic. I run a 1040 castrol gtx high mileage with stp oil treatment and a K&N filter.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:13 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Ha! You're forgiven since you are obviously one of Alices younger fans. BUT that picture is definitely not Alice Cooper. Embarassed to admit I iknow this but since I was recently forced to haul my kids in to see this guy on the silver screen in the latest Harry Potter flick I'm about 99% sure it's the teacher guy in those movies....as the caption would hint toward. When it comes to cool factor the two aren't even in the same universe.

lol! rock on young dudes. Glad to see the classics aren't being completely wasted on younger generations.