2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1996 Dodge 4-wheel drive woes...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 10:14 PM
mooch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Dodge 4-wheel drive woes...

Hey guys, I have been reading the 4-wheel drive "not working/engaging" threads all night trying to find a place to start with my truck.

Here is the jist of my issue. Driving along like any other day in Jan in Minnesota. Going about 30mph and braking as a stop sign is about 40 yards down the road and going down an incline. I hear what sounds like a wet brake whine/whoosh kinda noise. Get out at the stop sign and everything seems cool.

Drive another 20 miles and come to find I lost my 4-wheel drive and there is a clanging/grinding noise. 4hi and low both don't work. Seems like the T-Case is ok and engages, though haven't checked to see if the shaft spins when engaged.

The light comes on but no 4-wheel drive. Taking it to my fix it man friday, but not sure where to tell him to start since it sounds like the system is all vacuum based.

Even if the vacuum is there or not would there be a clanging/banging(not loud though, and shifter for t-case doesn't vibrate like I would think it would if T-case was the issue)?

I'm kinda lost my only experience with fixing 4x4 is a lockout hub system.

Just looking for some easy terms for fix it man to help him in his quest to track down the issue.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Probably the shift fork in the cad broke, or something similar...... If you are taking it to your fix it man, unless you know him VERY well, I would suggest just telling him what happened, and let him take it from there..... Having worked as a mechanic for years, one of the things I hated most was customers telling me what to fix....... Just tell me what's not working right, and let ME find out what's wrong.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:52 PM
rollinlow
Professional

sounds like your transfer case is toast. could be as "easy" as the chain being broke as complicated as the input output shafts being twisted and sheared.

HEY you: you and your dang clock trick

Last edited by rollinlow; 01-19-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:34 PM
mooch

Well I got some time today and got out of the truck when it was in 2-wheel and the drive shaft spun freely. I put it into 4-Hi and the drive shaft wouldn't turn. From my understanding this means the transfer case is working fine? So i'm guessing it has something to do with this "CAD" on the front passenger side of the front axle then? Any thoughts more along the lines of this?

Old 01-20-2011, 03:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Where do the rude noises come from? T-case? Or front axle?

If the light is coming on in the dash, but, you still don't have four wheel drive, need to pull the cad housing off, and have a look in there. See what's up.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:46 PM
mooch

Honestly it sound like its coming from up front. And the original noise I heard when it took a crap sounded like from up front passenger side. T-case seems to be fine. Im taking it to get checked out tomorrow. I don't think my mechanic has worked on this type of thing on a dodge before thats why I'm just looking for a "look here first" kind of thing. Also, since this truck is a 96' is the cad gonna be a pain to take apart/off/etc?

Old 01-20-2011, 03:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Of course it is.

Mine had a broken off bolt when I got it, and the housing itself was cracked. In the process of fixing a nasty leak there, (due to the broken bolt....) the housing itself failed. That was a bummer.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:55 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

your t-case might be ok. but there is a common problem with a broken snap ring in the t-case output shaft which allows the shaft to flop around and grind against the case. this sound would come from under you seat.

the 4wd light coming on is an indicator that at least part of the vacuum and cad is working, and that something? is sliding over and contacting the switch.

but, if the fork is messed up, or an e-clip is broken, or the collar is somehow messed up, then its disengaging the 2 axle halves, yet staying in contact, and grinding. this sound will come from the front end, directly under passenger feet.

its fixable. but - a replacement cad can be pretty expensive. labor to pull the axle is a lot, and if, heaven forbid, the diagnosis is that the axles are damaged, they are expensive too. if so - ask to see the axle ends to confirm the problem. axles are pretty tough and unless chipped, should be ok.

a short term fix is to hard wire the engine vacuum directly to the 4wd vac port and leave the axle engaged for the rest of the winter, and/or switch the vac line during good weather.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:10 AM
mjonesjr
Professional

I had the same issue with my '96. I took the CAD assembly off the axle to inspect it. Come to find out an E-clip had come off the vacuum actuator. This let the fork stay in place when the actuator pushed out to engage the 4wd.

It would up costing me $13 to fix it (1 quart of diff fluid & an assortment of E-clips).

Old 01-22-2011, 03:49 PM
mooch

Im totally out of the loop here. What is an E-Clip? and where is the actuator? Is that on the transfer case or up front on the CAD?

Quick Reply: 1996 Dodge 4-wheel drive woes...