2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I know another Gearing thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 03:04 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We I guess I should say something about the gear ratio, 3.92 with 33 is where I would be. I drove with that setup for many years and just loved it, good gas mileage and very good power (this was before the major mods done this summer) Gas is not getting any cheaper and we need to put that factor in, 90% dd does not need 4.56 yes if gas was going down then go for it or if you have 35 and up tires in the future. I have a new set of dana 60 s in the shop with factory 4.56 and I have a new set of 4.10 gears to go in them, yes I am swapping out the gears. It’s a fine line to get both good gas mileage and good power.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

In 2wd, the cad is disengaged, so, you are probably turning the passenger side inner axle. Not something that would be evident from the outside.

That's a limited slip though isn't it? And your shaft doesn't turn in 2wd while driving??

Old 01-28-2011, 03:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by merc225hp
We I guess I should say something about the gear ratio, 3.92 with 33 is where I would be. I drove with that setup for many years and just loved it, good gas mileage and very good power (this was before the major mods done this summer) Gas is not getting any cheaper and we need to put that factor in, 90% dd does not need 4.56 yes if gas was going down then go for it or if you have 35 and up tires in the future. I have a new set of dana 60 s in the shop with factory 4.56 and I have a new set of 4.10 gears to go in them, yes I am swapping out the gears. It’s a fine line to get both good gas mileage and good power.
What ya gonna do with the old gears and carriers?

Old 01-28-2011, 03:10 PM
merc225hp
Champion

Originally Posted by BamaRam97
This is stuck in my head and I may be totally wrong but the drive shaft doesn't turn in 2WD. I have a truetrac in the front and I can crawl under it w/ it in 2WD and turn the drive shaft and it doesn't turn anything else. It freely spins. If it turned while operating it in 2WD I wouldn't be able to freely turn it while it was not moving? Unless I was Superman and could turn the left front axle at the same time? I maybe totally off but that is what is floating in my head on a Friday afternoon when I'm a few drinks behind the rest of the world.
They are two differant lockers.
  • Smooth operation
  • Performs open until needed
  • Fully automatic limited slip
The Detroit Truetrac was the first helical gear differential ever introduced into the automotive aftermarket as an Eaton brand. It remains the leading helical gear-type limited slip differential in the industry.

Detroit Truetrac's proven helical gear design eliminates the need for wearable parts, resulting in maintenance free traction recognized not only for its toughness, but its smooth and quiet operation as well.

Proven design, low cost and effective performance all make the Detroit Truetrac limited slip differential the ideal choice for a wide variety of vehicle applications. No maintenance - Just Traction.

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produc...cker/index.htm

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produc...trac/index.htm

Old 01-28-2011, 03:18 PM
BamaRam97
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it is two totally different carriers. Mine being the LSD. I'm not positive if it turns while driving in 2WD. That sounds like a test for this weekend! How dangerous is it to hang out of the truck and look underneath while driving? I love a good challenge!

I guess I always just figured the axles turned and with the CAD disconnected bc of 2WD the drive shaft didn't turn. You learn something everyday.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yes it is two totally different carriers. Mine being the LSD. I'm not positive if it turns while driving in 2WD. That sounds like a test for this weekend! How dangerous is it to hang out of the truck and look underneath while driving? I love a good challenge!

I guess I always just figured the axles turned and with the CAD disconnected bc of 2WD the drive shaft didn't turn. You learn something everyday.
Don't fall out..... Or, have someone else drive the truck slowly while you look underneath.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:26 PM
merc225hp
Champion

I don't think yours will be turning in 2wd. Please don't hang out the door while driving.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:42 PM
BamaRam97
Veteran

Sorry fellas forgot the sarcasm emoticon.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Sorry fellas forgot the sarcasm emoticon.
No worries.

I think you would have to be a contortionist to be able to see it and drive at the same time in any event.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:13 PM
BamaRam97
Veteran

I had a girl tell me that one time.

Quick Reply: I know another Gearing thread