2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 v8 cylinder 3 misfire

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 12:04 PM
snunicycler
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
have a look down your throttle body, see any oil? That would cause the problem. And is a LOT cheaper than yanking heads.
ok, i'll check it out on my lunch, i'm just looking AT it right? i dont have to open anything up?

How old is your PCV valve? And if recently replaced, where did you get it?
i havent changed the PCV valve in the year that i have had it. before that, i dont know.

If you were burning coolant, you would more than likely be able to smell it in the exhaust, and someone would prolly comment.....
ok cool, i'll grab one of my coworkers and see if they can smell anything just in case.

I have had a case of "Mystery Coolant Loss" as well, turned out to be a freeze plug..... just didn't leak noticeably until it started leaving puddles in the drive..... then it was easy to find.
let's hope it is as easy as that.
thanks a ton! the last thing i need is to be fixing things that arent broken. i'll update with any new clues i find.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Need to open the throttle all the way, and look down in there with a flashlight. Wait until you get home. Not exactly clean under the hood. (suppose it depends on what you do for a living if that really matters or not..... )

Old 01-31-2011, 12:53 PM
snunicycler
Rookie

dentist.... jk. i'm a graphic designer and it wouldnt really matter if i got dirty. no one will even be in my office probably.
i didnt want to wait until dark but if i'll need a flashlight anyway it wont matter and i can wait.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:07 PM
snunicycler
Rookie

how do i open up the throttle?

Quick Reply: 96 v8 cylinder 3 misfire