2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fastman & other mods..now no power..help

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 02:42 PM
trigger29
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fastman & other mods..now no power..help

Hello everyone and thanks for your comments and helping me go in the right direction. Ok this is what I've done this time around.

Installed Gibson Cat Back stainless exhaust

New summit 8.5 mm cables

Fastman throttle body 52mm

JBA stainless direct fit headers

New spark plugs, autolite...can't remember the exact # on these but I gapped them at .040..the # I got off of the sticker above the radiator. Now, when I drive down the road..normally there is really no difference, it is more responsive pressing the gas pedal from a stop. But when I'm doing 40 & mash the pedal to pass someone the trans kicks down but no power, it just whines & hesitates, like it's trying to follow orders but something is stopping it??? The only other thing I have noticed after doing the headers is my cat conv now seems like it has a coke can rattling around in it when I start up the truck initially. It did this before but now it seems to be more frequent..or louder as well. I've read posts that the ecm needs to "relearn" after a Fastman tb sometimes. I'm pretty much a plug & play guy on a learning curve. I can say, before I swapped the Fastman in, the old truck would kick down when ordered & gooo!! Anybody have this problem before? Do I need a hemifever? Should I get a new high flow cat? I do know this though..it's super hot under the hood now after the header install, could it be affecting the throttle body that much? I knda regret doing everything at once more or less. Thanks for the help! -Noel-

Last edited by trigger29; 01-30-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

While you were doing your exhaust, did you happen to have a look at the cat? Rattling is a sign of a failing cat..... Might wanna have a look there.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:46 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Adjust your Throttle Valve cable.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
While you were doing your exhaust, did you happen to have a look at the cat? Rattling is a sign of a failing cat..... Might wanna have a look there.
+1. My rattling cat quickly truned to engine no longer able to run at all due to completely clogged cat. Change it ASAP.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:58 PM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the trans down-shifts, TV cable isnt an issue.

replace the cat

Old 01-30-2011, 09:35 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the cat turns out to be bad, it could have be caused by a leakin plenum gasket

Old 01-30-2011, 10:19 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

highflow cat and sct tuner were my most fav mods ive done to my truck ! ! highflpow cat makes it flow so much better and louder and sounds more beastly .

sct is the ticket to open the magums up it will feel like a new truck with the newfound power.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:17 PM
trigger29
Amateur

Hey..hey you tks for the reponse, I really didn't check the cat out at all. I just kinda had the inevitable duh when I fired the truck up after all the little mods & heard that cat rattling even louder than before. I'm out of the country now, but hopefully in 2 weeks or so will be back. Do you think changing the o2 sensors would be worth a try? I'm not getting any codes, just throwing it out there. Any suggestion on a high flow cat setup? Thanks!! -N-

Old 01-31-2011, 05:27 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

98 Ram = Blown plenum, bad cat and o2 sensor(s)

Old 01-31-2011, 05:36 PM
trigger29
Amateur
Red face Fastman & other mods..now no power..help 2

Thanks guys for the thoughts.

I posted a quick reply to the 1st response...still cutting my teeth on here on learning to work the forum deal out..and I don't know where that last one went. doh!

I haven't looked at the cat...thought about buying one w/ all the other junk but got cheap & put it off. Truck has 188,000 on it..don't know if it's the orig but think it's time to replace it. Any suggestions on which highflow to get? As I said, I'm mr plugnplay & am in BFE in Central America. I;ve seen the cats w/ the ypipe on ebay & summit, anyone know if those are "high flow?"

TV cable, I looked at everything b4 & after the fastman plugin, cables all look good but will check again when I get back.

Plenum: it looked good inside there...for the miles it has. Then again, I don't know what looks bad. There was a little soot & crap in there, but no pooling of junk. I was kinda surprised when I looked in.

Gap on Plugs: Do any of you guys running w/ the 5.9 gap yours at .040? I mean the truck ran fine after I changed them, I don't really think this is an issue, just curious.

Thanks again everyone for your assistance!!!!!!!I hope I can be on the side replying soon.

Other mods coming: King 2.5 coilovers, Thuren HD steering setup w/ fox steer stabie, Thuren HD control arms, new softrate thuren coil springs....and much much more. lol Thanks -N-

Quick Reply: Fastman & other mods..now no power..help