2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1500 Ram Lift Question! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 01:29 AM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally like body lifts because they have their uses, Performance Accessories all the way, there only just a tad over $200 maybe $250

Old 02-01-2011, 07:38 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RamMXer711
Well I Do KNOW that worn out shocks can contribute to a lower ride height, and very stiff, taller shocks CAN raise your body away from the chasis. So in other words my shocks might even be worn out.
Ok. A quick 101 on the basics of lifting a truck, seeing how you are quite a ways from knowledgeable about it at the moment.

A suspension lift raises the frame (chassis) and body higher off the axles. Anything around 2-3" typically requires longer shocks, while anything over 3" typically requires several other parts as well (longer control arms, drop pitman arm, dropped track bar, etc...).

A body lift raises the body off the frame, leaving the frame in the original position it was before the body lift. These require no change in shocks or anything suspension related.

Shocks only control the bounce of the vehicle. Longer, stiffer shocks will only stiffen up your ride (and possibly be too long), they will not lift your truck. And half ton and 3/4 ton shocks are the same, theres no difference.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:42 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I dunno, I have a suspension lift on my current truck, but I've installed three body lifts on previous ones. Had a body lift with block and level combo on my 2nd Gen when I had it so it would clear 35s and had no issues. Often got compliments on the look of the truck. A little frame will show, but nowhere near as much as when I put body lifts on my Cheby trucks.

Suspension lifts are expensive (especially for an IFS truck, you guys are lucky not to have to deal with half shafts that require crossmember or sub-frame support). At some point the truck gets to the age that it's hard to justify sinking a lot of money into a lift or mods in general. I'd have no qualms doing an inexpensive body lift, especially on a truck over 10 years old.

Oh, and these guys are spot on, stiffer shocks only make for a firmer ride. It's coil spring height and stiffness that will effect how high your vehicle sits. Not uncommon for springs to sag over time.

Last edited by HammerZ71; 02-01-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:58 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

After rereading what he wrote, I am thinking maybe he used the work "shocks" instead of "springs". That would make much more sense.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by olyelr
After rereading what he wrote, I am thinking maybe he used the work "shocks" instead of "springs". That would make much more sense.
+1 thats what i got out of it too. I'd definately go suspension, you'd pay a little more, but i prefer function over price

Old 02-01-2011, 11:23 AM
EricCartman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aren't the 2500 springs wider than 1500 springs? It would be more than a simple spring swap... new hangers welded to the frame and shackles...

Old 02-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya. Might as well put in the D60 with the new springs while your at it.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:34 PM
RamMXer711

Yeah I guess the big torsion springs on the bottom aren't considered shocks lol. I apologize for the confusion, thats more of what I was getting at. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: 1500 Ram Lift Question! HELP!