2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

PLEASE HELP! Unique Transfer Case Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 03:50 AM
tekn0pumpa
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP! Unique Transfer Case Problem!

Car: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L Manual Transmission -

Hey guys, newbie poster here but I've been lurking for awhile, used the nifty search bar to look for answers and came up short.

After hours of searching the net, and asking everybody I know, Im convinced I have a unique problem on my hands.

Problem: While driving my truck in 2wd the transfer case slips and tries to fall into neutral, It does it sporadically, when the issue started it didn't happen very often, now I can barely drive up the street without it slipping and grinding as it tries to go into neutral. If I put it in 4wd hi or low, it doesn't budge, but anytime its in 2wd it slips. It seems to do it as I accelerate or as I let off the clutch. And I can see it bobbing around as I shift or accelerate wanting to slip...Id i take it easy and drive like a grandma letting of the clutch VERY slowly I can usually drive without error for a short period of time.

Inspection: After inspecting the unit I cam across a fairly nasty leak. A friend suggested it was from the "out put shaft/seal??

I took off the skid plate cleaned the unit up and did a full fluid swap, I did not see any metal shavings in the unit or oil I drained but it was very dirty. I hoped after a fresh change the issue might be resolved and was caused by low fluid. That was not the case. It still is up to its old tricks.

My knowledge on engines is Intermediate to advanced but this is my first truck and transmissions/T-case/Power-train I have very limited knowledge.

I was hoping for a possible diagnosis as well as some input on how hard a rebuild would be if needed. I cannot afford 500+ to get a used transfer case at the moment but found rebuild kits for a fair price.

Let me know if there is any other information I can provide for you guys.

Thank you and god bless.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:12 AM
tekn0pumpa

Nothing?

Old 02-02-2011, 07:20 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

a common problem with the tcase is a broken snap ring at the rear of the output shaft which lets everything flop around and is often associated with a grinding sound.

if you haven't done so, remove rear drive shaft, tcase tail housing (4 bolts) and inspect the output shaft. replace snap ring if broken or missing. a tcase-saver is a replacement for the snap ring, but its pretty pricey at $50.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, snap ring came off, not unique at all.

I simply put a new snap ring on and tack welded it in place.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:29 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

deff sounds like that nasty little snap ring and a rebuilds not that hard if u have the right tools. ive rebuilt mine on my tailgaite a couple of times, u just gotta make sure you have all the correct parts and deff dont forget the little teflon bushings on your shift forks becuz if you do the when you get it all back together and go to drive it you willl hear a wierd kind of grinding that gets louder with increased speed

Old 02-02-2011, 02:01 PM
tekn0pumpa

okay thanks guys. Is there a place where I can learn about the drive shaft and how it works?

If I go to an auto parts store what part do I tell them I need? I'm not familiar with a snap ring...

Also, Do you think Ive done damage to the T-case from it grinding and such? Or are these things pretty tough?

Old 02-02-2011, 02:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Draining the fluid would tell the tale. If you have a bunch of metal shavings coming out too.... you are probably going to be in trouble.

For the parts store, just tell em you need an output shaft retainer, or snap ring. They should be able to figger it out from there. Round circle type clip, probably with two small holes in the 'ears' on the end. about the same diameter as you output shaft. Rides in a groove cut into the shaft, right up next to the bearing. Gotta pull the driveshaft, and then the rear housing off of the T-case to see it.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:37 PM
tekn0pumpa

Thanks guys...you have been helpful. I'm gonna try to not be the question asker who stops in your forums and never comes back...hopefully I can stick around and help other people with things I doo know about lol.

When I did the fluid drain I didnt see any metal shavings...Im assuming the drain plug is magnetic and there was nothing near it.... What I did find seemed like a few PLASTIC shavings???? Not sure where this could have came from... But It was in there.

I'm hoping once I replace the snap ring The problem will be solved provided I didnt do major internal damage to the t-case.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:49 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The drain plug for the transfer case is not magnetic.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The magnet is mounted inside the transfercase.

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP! Unique Transfer Case Problem!