2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

someone with 33s on stock wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 06:32 AM
Arachnyd
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default someone with 33s on stock wheels?

I've been searching around and found lots of people claiming they use 33" tires on stock wheels.

All the 33s and 22.7s (285/75s) require at least 7.5" wide wheels, and my understanding is that the stockers are 7" wide.

Can one of the many people running 33s on their stock wheels tell me what brand/model tire they are running?

The tire recommendations I've read on here all require 7.5" too, except the stock replacement and 31s/265s which are good with 7s.

I do have a set of 15s that are 9.5" wide (which I have 35s on now), but I was hoping to use the stock wheels and sell the 35s.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:13 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i run 285/75-16 on stock wheels. the first set of tires were cooper discovery AT and lasted about 45K. my latest set is Maxxis bighorns and i just put them on.

i had some uneven wear on cooper's, but it was likely due to alignment and they still lasted 4-1/2 years and 45K, so it wasn't too bad.
i don't see any problems with the stock wheels.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:51 AM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run 285/75R16 BFGoodrich AT's on stock wheels with no ill effects.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Arachnyd
Veteran

I looked up all those tires, and they all require atleast 7.5" as well, so I guess everyones doing OK with the 7s.

The wheels are "stock" but not MY stock wheels. I justwanted to double check that there was only one wheel width for the stock wheels? (AKA 2WD didn't come with narrower wheels than 4x4?)

I'm a little concerned now trying to find a picture of my stock wheels online- It took me forever to find one with the right wheels. I pulled the wheels off a 98 ram myself though, and the guy said they were original.

they are 3 spoke that look like "blades" with a plastic center piece with the dodge ram logo. Heres what they look like (although this is NOT my photo- just the same wheels)

Name:  IMG_2179.jpg
Views: 5423
Size:  108.4 KB

Anyone know anything about these wheels? how wide they are, or how they compare to the ones you guys are putting the 285/75s on?

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2011, 08:48 AM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Arachnyd
I looked up all those tires, and they all require atleast 7.5" as well, so I guess everyones doing OK with the 7s.

The wheels are "stock" but not MY stock wheels. I justwanted to double check that there was only one wheel width for the stock wheels? (AKA 2WD didn't come with narrower wheels than 4x4?)

I'm a little concerned now trying to find a picture of my stock wheels online- It took me forever to find one with the right wheels. I pulled the wheels off a 98 ram myself though, and the guy said they were original.

they are 3 spoke that look like "blades" with a plastic center piece with the dodge ram logo. Heres what they look like (although this is NOT my photo- just the same wheels)

Anyone know anything about these wheels? how wide they are, or how they compare to the ones you guys are putting the 285/75s on?

Thanks!
I have those same wheels

Old 02-02-2011, 08:53 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another with 285's on stock 3 blade rims, with no problems other than some minor rubbing on the control arms at full lock... Currently have BFG's on there, had 285 Mud Kings on before that.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:37 AM
97Rampowerhouse
Captain

you should stick with 16 inch rims I ordered 15" ion wheels and tires for my truck and got a email this morning that some 15" wheels will not fit 99-01 rams due to double piston caliper. mine is a 97 but the guy at jegs said he didnt think they would fit my truck still so now I have to pick out a new set of rims

Old 02-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Arachnyd
Veteran

Thank you both, EndisNear and Maxmagg.. as well as the others who have posted!

Excellent! that makes me feel a lot better about putting those tires on those wheels. I'm fixing the plenum this weekend, and hopefully I'll get the new tires on next week. As I said, I was a little worried about the width!

I had 15's with the 35s on it when I bought the truck. They fit great, and the tires only rub at full lock. If you want 15s, just ask me.. haha. Another conversation for another day.

Quick Reply: someone with 33s on stock wheels?