2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

remove lift or change gears for improved milage

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 10:13 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how bout drop to 33's and if they look to small deal with lift then, it might not look to bad, and then at anytime you could always go back to 35's

Old 02-03-2011, 10:15 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And you could see if you really will see any mpg gains that way.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:39 PM
ib768
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could just lighten your foot and you'd probably see a 1 or 2 mpg increase. If you don't like the look of the lift or the height of the truck, by all means drop the suspension lift. Are your tires ready to be replaced? Why you would spend a significant amount of money to switch to 33" tires to theoretically save a couple dollars at the pump is beyond me. But again, if you'd prefer it lowered or with smaller tires, then just do it.

Your fuel mileage issue is more likely caused by other issues (driving style, engine stuff) than anything else. Just my two pennies.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Gonna have to replace that body lift with something. Hockey pucks are a bad plan.

Finding body bushings shouldn't be too much of a stretch, but, might cost as much as the body lift.....

Gears are indeed significantly more money.... if you also have to pay for installation. If you can do it yourself, you can get gears and install kits for around 500 off of EBay.

Yes. I am a professional bad influence.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:55 PM
iitywygms
Amateur

Thanks for all the replys. I am not going to change anything until the tires are worn.
Reason I want to eventually make some changes is that the truck will shift out of overdrive if I go over 70. Even on a flat road. I always assumed that the big tires/small engine were the reasons. Maybe I need to look into the engine. Always passed smog with flying colours.
And I do not see the death flash sticker.
Like I said earlier. I do not off road much. And having to use it for around town, the big tires and lift make parking interesting. And when I go to the movies downtown, I can't even park in the parking garage.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:02 PM
FarmBoy428
Veteran

shoot i'd say upgrade your gears to 4:56s or 5:13s an run 33's idk its a shot?
maybe cai if you dont have one that helps too, maybe find a mpg tuner

Old 02-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iitywygms
Reason I want to eventually make some changes is that the truck will shift out of overdrive if I go over 70. Even on a flat road. I always assumed that the big tires/small engine were the reasons.
That's due to the big tires and the wrong gears. Mine did the same thing when I went up from 33's to 35's while keeping the 4.10's. Once I went to 4.56's though, that went away. MPG's improved slightly too.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:38 PM
iitywygms
Amateur

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
That's due to the big tires and the wrong gears. Mine did the same thing when I went up from 33's to 35's while keeping the 4.10's. Once I went to 4.56's though, that went away. MPG's improved slightly too.
Kinda what I thought. Now for a stupid question. How can I identify my differentials?, so I know what type of gears I can/should buy. If I decide to go that corse.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:12 AM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

well i thought my mpgs were bad untill i bought my gps, thats when i noticed my speedo is 12 mph off and at the end of a full tank my dashes trip odometer is close to 100 miles off of my gps' trip odometer.
so that changed all my math and mpgs up. just some food for thought!

Old 02-04-2011, 05:15 AM
joekool4
Professional

I always thought that the lower the gear ratio the better the mileage/top speed and the higher the better for torque/towing. But i guess if the tires are too big for the engine to turn it would need the torque from the higher. oh well, I get 22MPG Highway in my 2wd lifted 3 in. with stock tow package 3.55 with 33" tires so who knows. i also know aerodymics and weight come into play on the highway, not too sure in town though. I would think an E-fan, tune up, CAI, Dual exhaust, etc. would make a difference. after my CAI i got 3 more MPGs city after i got done flogging it. you could also try to save weight if youre just using it back and forth to work and what not. I was getting like 16-17 city but its about time for a tune up (im getting 12-13 now). also look up Hyper Mileing. its a driving style that people with hybrids made up, they "race" to see who can get the best mileage out thier car. Basically drive like youre 180 yrs old, or like youre in a lowrider. so many things can improve performance and mileage. cowl or ram air hoods, CAI, Dual exhaust, e fans, fiberglass fenders, loosing any uneeded weight (brush guards, tool boxes, tailgates), in the city loose the tailgate but if you take it on the highway get a mesh one perfect mix of aerodynics and weight reduction.

Quick Reply: remove lift or change gears for improved milage