2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

electrical problems, charging, computer

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 01:37 AM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by duvaldodge
yes the first thing i did was have the new alt tested it wasnt showing as charging, but of course their is no type of charge getting to it, and for the battery advanced auto parts said it was good, but i must ask if the battery come up bad would it have anything to do with it being extremely low charged, and yes regulator is internal inside the pcm, a real flaw by Chrysler if you ask me, I have a "Actron Autoscanner plus" that set me back 250$ but i thought was worth it. It gave me these codes, P1682 charging system to low-fix- replace altenator, replace pcm, p0743 torque convertor clutch solenoid circuit-fix-replace pcm, asd relay, p0753 overdrive soldenoid circuit-fix-pcm ,overdrive solenoid, p1765 Transmission voltage relay circuit-fix-pcm,transmission wiring harness,trans solenoid,replace alt wiring, replace tran control relay, i showed these codes to my mechanic and he said the pcm might be generating these diffrent codes because its bad.

It's giving you those codes as a diagnostic tree. Everything on that list is at one point, tied into multiple circuits that are shared on common ground buss schemes and / or, sharing B+ feeds so, if one of those goes out, it takes down that supply thus, you lose source to multiple circuits and, of course, they all show up on that diagnostic scan tool but, it's not that all of those are bad. That's not exactly what that means. It's merely listing out all possible failures and, that each one of those needs to be gone through to factor one out at a time until root cause has been identified. That is what that list is doing there. GM has the same thing in fact, it's much much better at pinpointing the failure vs. just listing all the shared circuits like Mopar does. I hate the diagnostics on these trucks, and, so much so that I've taken the time to learn this system to be able to root it out quickly without the need for those trees.

Since the charging system runs through the PCM, and, the PCM contains the Voltage Regulator and Gen FIELD SOURCE and FIELD, if something blows, there's a good chance that it takes the supply down that's also functioning as a supply for power to that circuit.

So, what "may" end up happening here is, the PCM gets replaced only to find your still in the same boat as before, only, with less money in your pocket due to the expense of the PCM that wasn't bad but, it was a shorted solenoid that took the supply down into failsafe mode to prevent it from burning up. It's got an AUTO SENSE feature that when, tripped, it CUTS power to the supply as a means of self-protect mode that was designed in.

CM

Old 02-06-2011, 07:07 AM
Racer-X
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car-Part.com
This sight is a fair sight to start your quest. Just follow promts and enter your zipp to find bone-yards near you,works with any part.
Good Luck

Old 02-06-2011, 08:46 AM
VEETEN
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

[quote=HeyYou;2406509].... can't search here on PCM, as it is too short of a search term.....quote]
Any term can be found by adding quotes around it
"PCM" returns 2 pages to sift through
I saw something about a company in FL called ace
1 good and 1 bad experience.

With that said.
checking voltage output on alternator with a DMM without a load won't tell you much, those testing machines check output with a load.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:38 AM
duvaldodge
Amateur

ok so i found out today my pcm is a 98 model not a 99 which explains why mechanics code scanner wouldn't read it for a 99 only 98, now my problem is which 99 model computer i need, ive narrowed it down to 2 part #'s ,

56040 150AA

and

56040 152AB

k called chrysler and they said the origonal part number for my truck is 1st 1 56040150AA but im wondering is the AB part number is for 4x4s and AA for 4x2's they didn't have an answer, i beleive because they wanted me to buy a comp from them for 600$

dont know which one i need and what the diffrence is, although it could be the diffrence between 99 dodge ram 1500 5.9l 4x4's, and 99 dodge ram 1500 5.9l 4x2's

any helps appreciated!

Last edited by duvaldodge; 02-07-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Computer doesn't care about four wheel drive. It has no clue how many wheels are pushing/pulling you down the road/trail. Don't think there is a difference between auto, and manual trans either, as the service manual doesn't make any distinction between them. Might just be a superseded part number... with some old stock left.

If the first number is what the dealer says your truck should have, use that number with whatever parts store you call, to see if they can cross reference you the correct pcm, for somewhat less exhorbitant of a price.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:14 PM
VEETEN
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

56040 150AA = 5.9L V8 MPI/auto transmission/federal emmisions

56040 152AB = I dont see this in the 99 manual but see below

56040 152AA = Magnum 5.9 SMPI V8/auto trans/ federal emissions

all the different codes are based on engines/trans/ and emissions (federal or California)
There are 24 JTEC modules listed for the 99 Ram

EDIT
All my links seem to be broken so I've been putting stuff on google docs
here is my link to 99 ram parts manual>>> https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...thkey=CKHA1O4N

Pages 156 and 157 are the computers Figure 8-720

Last edited by VEETEN; 02-07-2011 at 07:41 PM. Reason: links
Old 02-07-2011, 11:26 PM
duvaldodge
Amateur

thanks called the dealer back to clarify, only 1 ecm fits my truck and that's the first 1, hooked it up and had mechanic program it, runs great, New K&N Air Filter, Oil and filter changed and cleaned all connections with cleaner. lets see how long it last , i always wondered why my cruise control didn't work now it does, cant believe this whole time was a 98 computer in it what was previous owner thinking? any suggestions on performance upgrades? or gas mileage mods?

Old 02-07-2011, 11:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

What makes you think the PO WAS thinking???

SCT tuner. Gets rid of the death flash that you probably currently have. It has been pretty much acclaimed as THE best bang for the buck mod here.

For gas mileage, I think the best mod a saw for that was another member spent 600 bucks to get 50 some miles per gallon...... with the motorcycle he had just bought........

Old 02-07-2011, 11:45 PM
duvaldodge
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What makes you think the PO WAS thinking???

SCT tuner. Gets rid of the death flash that you probably currently have. It has been pretty much acclaimed as THE best bang for the buck mod here.

For gas mileage, I think the best mod a saw for that was another member spent 600 bucks to get 50 some miles per gallon...... with the motorcycle he had just bought........
LOL no kiddin, and what you mean the "advantage III custom tuning software? or the vehicle programmer 1 seem similiar from sct?

Old 02-07-2011, 11:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

One o' these guys. Hemifever is the man to see about an sct tuner. I think the software package that you are talking about is over 500 bucks, and that doesn't include a way to write the programming to the PCM. (this is something i am REALLY interested in, but, not will to crank out five hundred bucks for the software.... still scouting for shareware)

Quick Reply: electrical problems, charging, computer