2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

electrical problems, charging, computer

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 08:38 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

welcome to the forum. I would start by cleaning all ground contact points, and ensuring that the large black ground cables to the battery, starter, and alternator are clean and making good connection.

By the way, download the Field Service Manual from the following link, it's for a 2001, but probably 95% accurate for a 96 model ram:

http://www.rm-indy.com/wavefiles/2001ramsrvcmanual.zip

Old 07-25-2011, 09:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Check all fuses/connections associated with the charging system first. It may just be a bad connection somewhere.

You can put a self-regulating alternator in there. I don't recall if it would annoy the PCM though, so far as I can remember, all it cares about is correct input voltages..... and it may not care much about those either.

Grab the service manual for your truck from this thread, should be rather helpful.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:24 AM
Fishrag69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info.
I will have a look at it over the weekend.
Thanks for the link to the service manuals.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:07 AM
Fishrag69

Checked & cleaned the earth on alt & battery today.
Did the earth test (regulator Bypass) & it didn't charge.
Did the earth test (regulator Bypass) when it finally started charging & it went straight to 18Volts. I turned the truck off again & restarted it & it wasn't charging again, tried earth test again still no charge.
I have removed the alternator & i am going to check the brushes.

Also does anybody know if an alternator from a CHRYSLER (PLYMOUTH) VOYAGER 97 - 2001 is the same, as there is one on aussie EBAY, item 260815247831, close by, the two pictures look the same as mine.

thanks

Old 08-01-2011, 05:46 AM
Fishrag69

I pulled the back cover off the alternator & the brushes are in there, held in a carrier attached by 3 screws.
The inside brush was worn right down. I unsoldered the brush & fitted a good used brush, from a Bosch alternator, after filing it down to fit. Put it all back together & refitted the alternator.
I started the truck & its charging fine. Drove it all day without a problem.
Thanks for the help

Old 04-20-2018, 02:10 AM
Danny Chis
Default 99 dodge ram 2500 all sorts of electrical problems

Truck wont crank and blower motor and windows dont work, abs light is on and Speedo isn't working. I put a push button start on it and the truck starts up no problem. So i thought it might be the ignition switch so i put in a new one and its still doing the same thing. Please if anyone has had any experience with this id greatly appreciate some advice.

Old 11-04-2019, 06:05 PM
Jeffrey Borgwardt
Default 2000 Dodge Dakota Belt on wrong charging problems

Changed belt on 2000 dodge Dakota 3.9 v6 would not charge took it to garage said it was on backward turning alternator wrong way not charge. Was driving me nuts thought was computer etc did not you could but on wrong way and still, startup now is fine also would not cool turn wrong way clutch would not engage it overheated just posting fiy because read multiple forums and nobody posted this could save someone a lot of trouble feel like an idiot.

Old 10-01-2020, 12:29 AM
crypto time

2002 dodge dakota 4x4 4 door 3.9

not charging

new alt
batter great
two rebuilt pcm

getting leak detection and transmission errors, no voltage at two wire connector at alternator, PCM is getting 12v at red white wire and truck runs just in limp mode. leak detection pump on wiring diagram shows GEN Source???? i wonder if power for the alternator comes from this somehow? all fuses good relays seem to be good.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Originally Posted by crypto time
2002 dodge dakota 4x4 4 door 3.9

not charging

new alt
batter great
two rebuilt pcm

getting leak detection and transmission errors, no voltage at two wire connector at alternator, PCM is getting 12v at red white wire and truck runs just in limp mode. leak detection pump on wiring diagram shows GEN Source???? i wonder if power for the alternator comes from this somehow? all fuses good relays seem to be good.
You need to post in the second gen dakota section.

Quick Reply: electrical problems, charging, computer