2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

electrical problems, charging, computer

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 12:00 AM
89newporker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember that your Alt needs power to produce power. NO less than 11volts. One common area I see ALOT is the connectors in the main battery cables especially the one leading to the ALT.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:17 AM
stands2p
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by duvaldodge
ok so i found out today my pcm is a 98 model not a 99 which explains why mechanics code scanner wouldn't read it for a 99 only 98, now my problem is which 99 model computer i need, ive narrowed it down to 2 part #'s ,

56040 150AA

and

56040 152AB

k called chrysler and they said the origonal part number for my truck is 1st 1 56040150AA but im wondering is the AB part number is for 4x4s and AA for 4x2's they didn't have an answer, i beleive because they wanted me to buy a comp from them for 600$

dont know which one i need and what the diffrence is, although it could be the diffrence between 99 dodge ram 1500 5.9l 4x4's, and 99 dodge ram 1500 5.9l 4x2's

any helps appreciated!
every dodge part number starts life with AA...as revisions(in this case pcm....recalls,deathflash,trans ect) are made the last letter changes AB,AC,AD and so on.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:37 AM
stands2p
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
One o' these guys. Hemifever is the man to see about an sct tuner. I think the software package that you are talking about is over 500 bucks, and that doesn't include a way to write the programming to the PCM. (this is something i am REALLY interested in, but, not will to crank out five hundred bucks for the software.... still scouting for shareware)
software is 350 with usb security dongle,1 license agreement and base maps for the pcm in question.then you need a blank handheld tuner 9550 for 140.this gives the user the ability to self-tune on there pc....writing a tune via the sct software on your pc, then the tune is transfered to the handheld 9550 and burned to pcm simple.

good luck with shareware lol.even if you found the software there is no way to open the software to use it or transfer files to the handheld without the usb security dongle.

Last edited by stands2p; 02-08-2011 at 03:39 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:33 AM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

THere's also another company down in Florida who contacted me about taking their classes for engine management tuning and programming. Apparently they've got a product that is reported by forum users to surpass SCT in both use and what you can do with it. I can't recall the name of this company at current as this was back in September but, somewhere in my emails, I've got it. I'll have to go back and dig it out and look to see who it is and what's what. All I recall was the forum users were raving about it vs. SCT.

CM

Old 02-09-2011, 08:12 AM
duvaldodge
Amateur

ok so yesterday i was driving and was coming to a four-way and my whole truck just died, and i got error "no bus" let it sit for 1-2 minutes and it cranked back up and i had no problems? i was going maybe 40-45 MPH? anybody know what this is? power surge? as far as i know it didn't fry it.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:31 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,277 Likes on 3,024 Posts

ASD event. Have you swapped the ASD relay, with say, the horn relay?

Old 02-09-2011, 08:51 AM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 02-12-2011, 11:06 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by duvaldodge
ok so yesterday i was driving and was coming to a four-way and my whole truck just died, and i got error "no bus" let it sit for 1-2 minutes and it cranked back up and i had no problems? i was going maybe 40-45 MPH? anybody know what this is? power surge? as far as i know it didn't fry it.
It's not a power surge. It's most likely either a shorting CKPS or CPS or, a bad connection someplace that is causing the PCM to go into shutdown mode due to shorting out one of the five-volt supplies or, loss of source from the bat to the PCM will induce a NO BUS condition.

Not too long ago, there was a guy on here who had the same thing happen and, what he did was remove all the connectors and re-attach them multiple times. His problem ceased he said. Bad connection was the root cause in his case. You may find you've got the same issue. There's also a huge connector under the dash that has one bolt securing it into the module, you'll find that these designs were iffy and, a trouble spot for NO BUS errors.

But, again, it could be one of those issues or, it could be sensor related to to where, one of the sensors may be shorting intermittently thus, taking down the five volt supply to which, the PCM goes into automatic power down mode as a failsafe mechanism to prevent dead shorting of the supply.

Good luck and, take it in if you can't figure it out.

CM

Old 06-16-2011, 02:54 PM
stumpmaker
Default 140 amp fusible link

I had same problem with 1999 dodge 1500 4x4. As duvaldodge did and it was a $10 140 amp fusible link. In the fusebox under the hood.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:55 AM
Fishrag69

Firstly i live in AUSTRALIA & I have a imported 96 Ram Sport 4x4 5.2auto.
Just lately it has started not charging sometimes.
It happens when i start the truck, most times the alternator kicks in but sometimes it doesn't. Usually all i have to do is turn the truck off & restart the engine & it starts charging again. This is easy to tell as the volt gauge in the dash reads 10-12V when it isn't charging, normal running & when it starts charging it runs at 14V.

I was just going to purchase a Alternator over the internet & get it posted here but now am not so sure, as this would cost me about $300 by the time it arrives.

If i was to fit an alternator off something local that has a built in self energizing regulator would the PCM still function without the feed from the alternator.

The truck has also been erratic at idle sometimes, speeding up, & sometimes just stalling, this is when everything is charging nicely. When it stalls it starts back up but sometimes smells rich.

I cant take it to a Dodge dealer here as they don't sell Rams & don't have info on them.
I have an OBD2 scanner but haven't tried it as the engine check light hasn't come on.

Any Ideas would help Thanks

Last edited by Fishrag69; 07-25-2011 at 07:59 AM.

Quick Reply: electrical problems, charging, computer