2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ignition coil dead HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 06:25 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ignition coil dead HELP

Ok so I’m stuck in the side of the road. My MSD ignition just died I think. I get no reading at all on primary resistance and my code scanner shows ignition coil primary error code.

i have an MSD coil pack with the positive negative wire but the local parts store only has the standard ignition coil with the standard plug not just two wire

is there any way I can rig this up to work???

1997 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2.L

Old 09-23-2020, 06:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Do they have the pigtail for the stock coil? Maybe in the help section....

Worst case, by a couple of the correct terminals, and the crimp tool, stuff 'em into the coil, and then tape them in place.

Old 09-23-2020, 08:09 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Do they have the pigtail for the stock coil? Maybe in the help section....

Worst case, by a couple of the correct terminals, and the crimp tool, stuff 'em into the coil, and then tape them in place.
that’s what I was hoping I could do. The tow truck driver knows a guy with a couple 5.2 motors in his backyard he’s going to try and get ahold of him for me. But if that doesn’t work
I was lucky enough to be 16 miles from a town where there is a motel across the street from a Napa and get this... a dodge dealership!

in the morning I’ll be on the hunt. I’ll uodate what happens. Thank you for the suggestion @Hey You you are always there when I need you!

Old 09-23-2020, 08:38 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Packwood Digital
that’s what I was hoping I could do. The tow truck driver knows a guy with a couple 5.2 motors in his backyard he’s going to try and get ahold of him for me. But if that doesn’t work
I was lucky enough to be 16 miles from a town where there is a motel across the street from a Napa and get this... a dodge dealership!

in the morning I’ll be on the hunt. I’ll uodate what happens. Thank you for the suggestion @Hey You you are always there when I need you!
What you should of done is bought the adapter. It plugs into the OEM plug this way you could always go back to the OEM coil. I learned that the hard way lol

Old 09-23-2020, 09:27 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
What you should of done is bought the adapter. It plugs into the OEM plug this way you could always go back to the OEM coil. I learned that the hard way lol
the truck came with the MSD already installed in it when I bought it. Didn’t even know that was an option.

Old 09-23-2020, 10:05 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional

What is the interchangeability options for this coil? Like what other years/models/engines have coils that will work on my 5.2L?

i won’t know if Napa or the dealer has anything in stock until tomorrow and if they don’t there’s a salvage yard close by I can go look for one but it’s small and options will be limited.

Old 09-23-2020, 10:11 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

What is the interchangeability options for this coil? Like what other years/models/engines have coils that will work on my 5.2L?

i won’t know if Napa or the dealer has anything in stock until tomorrow and if they don’t there’s a salvage yard close by I can go look for one but it’s small and options will be limited.
That I'm unsure of I ASSUME any vehicle with a magnum V8 will work. Yeah the plug plugs into the factory plug but just has 2 weird you attach to the coil. I personally always like to have the ability to return to stock

Old 09-23-2020, 10:15 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional

That I'm unsure of I ASSUME any vehicle with a magnum V8 will work. Yeah the plug plugs into the factory plug but just has 2 weird you attach to the coil. I personally always like to have the ability to return to stock
so In theory with what @Hey You suggested worst case scenario if I find a coil but no pigtail I should be able to just take my current wires and crimp then into the prongs inside the plug boot on the new coil.

or if I can find a pigtail that fits just splice them...

hopefully I won’t need to go the salvage yard route.

wish me luck lol

Old 09-23-2020, 10:40 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

so In theory with what @Hey You suggested worst case scenario if I find a coil but no pigtail I should be able to just take my current wires and crimp then into the prongs inside the plug boot on the new coil.

or if I can find a pigtail that fits just splice them...

hopefully I won’t need to go the salvage yard route.

wish me luck lol
Yes to both good luck

Old 09-23-2020, 10:47 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional

Yes to both good luck
how do I know which prong is ground and which is positive on the stock coil?

if I get it backwards will it fry anything?

Quick Reply: Ignition coil dead HELP