2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Roller rocker madness

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This could go up against farmboy's thread in measure of hilarity. "Urine vapor" wow... unreg, your capacity for sarcasm borders on unnatural. Makes me wish more people would **** you off just so I can have the joy of reading your truly hilarious responses. Better than the comedy channel hands down.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:59 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad_Scientist
Makes me wish more people would **** you off just so I can have the joy of reading your truly hilarious responses.
I've not been pissed off -- just amused by the absurdity of the things I've seen. My hope is that the one acting the fool will learn something valuable from my carrying on, even if he had originally hoped to go through his entire life without learning it.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:59 PM
bekins01ram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, so...have had the workday to realize what I said, and what the responses were. Apologies for the rant...but you gotta understand....I've just recently got into working on my motor. I don't know squat about my motor, and I'm asking a stupid question that yes...probably has been answered 200 times.

But i've asked many questions in this forum, and have been told to search a thousand times. How many parts are in a motor??? 1000, 2000, 10000?? And each part has its own questions...Sure i could search (which i've done, btw), and find the answer to my question. But WTF is a forum, if the questions aren't new and refreshed every couple of years? Sure, after a while, those 10000 parts would have every question answered in a post, and while people asked questions you'd tell them to search....which btw costs me hours of time, when u could spend 30 seconds to answer my question; all the while, your forum is going to shut down if people dont ask questions. Did I waste your time, asking my question? I'm trying to learn about my motor, and all motors in general...post or stud mounted rockers...i asked a couple days ago if i'd need to buy anything extra, like the pushrods due to the new rockers....I'm just trying to learn...and basically, y'all just say, I dont have 30-45 seconds right now....search it out....and while we run out of things to talk about, people leave the forum, due to being talked about, knowing i'd come back and read the posts....lol. That's why i called anyone an a$$hole.

Again, my apologies...i woke up for work, came to look and see if anyone maybe had a good, informative response to the difference in the stud or post mounted rockers, and which one was a direct replacement, without needing anything else, immediately. Instead I get, "I told you what to buy!" and "yeah, what he said" and a bunch of other crap. Like I said, I'm not going to just buy something cause u said it fit in ur '99 5.9 or anything. I drive a 2001 5.2L, which has alot of shared parts. I want to learn. Sorry I wasted your time making you read my questions. But you need some manners if you want anyone other than the regular 10-20 or w/e people it is that answer questions.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:09 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Just so you know, the info in that other thread answers all your questions. And they are called pedestal mount, not post mount. They are the same for all 5.2 and 5.9 magnum motors.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:19 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dang...

I think that qualifies as a tantrum, or at least 'throwing a fit'.. that's funny.. you really think it's fair to demand a response from someone? really?

I reckon 'pride in being self sufficient' is gone, and been/being replaced with "I'll throw a fit and get someone else to do it for me", because that is precisely what you have just done..

fwiw- a good portion of how much help you will get from others is based on how you approach the question you have.. the original poster said straight up "I don't want to search, when you can just tell me what I need to know"- which is absolutely ENTITLEMENT.. Now, you've basically said "your time isn't as important as mine"...

all that said, here you go:

you seek Harland and Sharp, tower mounted, cable actuated, magnetic resistant to +/- 3 ohms @ 5k RPM, self balancing and adjusting rocker rollers w/ 1/164" oversized plutonium bearings. If your doing both sides, make sure and get both the left and right hand versions, and keep them straight- you really don't wanna mess that up. It's easier if you can find the ones with the tappets built into them, and attached by the push rods already connected via the bearing set.. This will save you time and expense searching for the right push rod length. It would likely be easier if you call Summit, Jegs, or Southeast Performance and tell them what you need so they can get you the right parts if you are really worried about it, but to do so you'll need the numbers off of the interior of your transmission pan to give them so they get the push rod length right.. Don't ask me why, they just put it there as an afterthought is the general consensus..

Stop taking things so dang serious you.. it's a lot funner if you just laugh instead of taking offense.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:00 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Where can I find the vacuum actuated ones? Wait, let me do a search first!

Old 02-14-2011, 08:22 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Trying to be constructive here: The newest of these engines we're talking about is ten years old now. Nothing about them has changed in at least that long, and to the best of my knowledge no new aftermarket engine parts have been brought to market since Chrysler stopped producing them. There's not much chance of there being any new information that would obsolete anything you might find in a search of this forum.

I applaud your wisdom in doing your homework up front rather than showing up here later crying about how you just grenaded your engine and desperately need to know how to fix it up with just the eleven dollars and lint in your pocket. Good for you. That said, it was very poor form to come strolling in here announcing "My time is far more valuable than that of all of you mumberhumblers combined, so give me what I want right now or get the hell out of my face". Of course folks are going to take exception to that.

Your apology rings hollow. What you said, paraphrasing to illustrate a point: "You're all ********. I'm sorry I called you ********. You're all ********. You're all ********". That's really not a good way to win friends and influence people.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:57 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Buck up yo. This is standard forum etiquette...at least with any forum worth a damn. No one wants to see the same old topic repeated over and over. Sure the policy has it's downsides but I personally think the payoff in noise control is well worth it even though it is a slight inconvenience using search. BTW searchin archives is where you'll find the real meat and potatos of a site like this, and DF is no exception. Searchin the archives is great fun and very rewarding when it's time for research in my experience.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:34 PM
bekins01ram
Veteran

My last comment about this ordeal:

Never once did I say anyones time is worth more than anyone elses. Just makes me, and im sure others mad, that you can take the time to get on here and compain 'cause i didnt do a thorough complete search thru 200 posts, looking for a simple answer. If you dont know the answer, just let the topic go, until someone that knows, feels they can spare the time to explain it. Make noobs like me feel attacked by y'all, basically getting all of us nowhere. Guess I'll spend 2-3 days looking for a simple answer I could get in 2 minutes next time. My hollow apologies again.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:10 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

My God guys, just post a simple answer. It does not bother me to repost something because I have the ability to choose whether or not I want to. Hes not forcing you to say anything. Hes asking you. And yea, searching does turn up results, but we all know there are hundreds of threads out there and yes it takes a long time to search through them all. And a few minutes out of pure willingness to answer a simple question can mitigate a ton of problems. If your on Dodge Forum, you have time to answer. And you have the choice to do so or not. No need to jump on a persons *** over something so silly.

Quick Reply: Roller rocker madness