2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Firing order

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 02:19 PM
FFFD827
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys. some of the electrodes on my spark plugs look dirty. some are still white others have thin stuff caked on them. them gap on a few has burned back to over .060. Dose this mean much? im changine my wires plugs cap n rotor. will run wires according to TSB im setting my gap to .040. I dont have any cel codes my MPG is about 11.5 my plenunm looks clean. It seems like there is water or gas laying on the bottom but its clean.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:22 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FFFD827
thanks guys. some of the electrodes on my spark plugs look dirty. some are still white others have thin stuff caked on them. them gap on a few has burned back to over .060. Dose this mean much? im changine my wires plugs cap n rotor. will run wires according to TSB im setting my gap to .040. I dont have any cel codes my MPG is about 11.5 my plenunm looks clean. It seems like there is water or gas laying on the bottom but its clean.

WHOA! Water or gas? Neither would be good. Take something and swab it. bet it is a coat of oil. If so, plenum is blown.

Plug gap at 0.060? May just mean it has been a long time sice plugs were changed (hopefully).

Old 03-16-2012, 02:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

Sounds like your plugs have been in there for a while. The rest doesn't sound that abnormal, aside from liquid sitting on the bottom of the intake.... need to verify what that is. Shouldn't be gas, hadn't better be water.......

Old 03-16-2012, 02:27 PM
TC3EMTB
Amateur

i just did my manifold gasket, i was burning about a quart per week i would bet its oil after seeing mine a few days ago. also if your air filter has oil spots on it the pcv valve could be shot causing the oil pooling.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:40 PM
FFFD827
Professional

i taped a cotton swab to a zip tie and stuck it in the throttle body. I watched with a flash light and rubbed it around the botom of the intake. It seems like the quater size smear of clean oil there is a thin skim coat of it. the oil in my truck is chandeg often and i use mobil one. Is this an early sign of losing my plenum gasket? This is nice having the lap top out here with me i dont feel like im working alone.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:53 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FFFD827
i taped a cotton swab to a zip tie and stuck it in the throttle body. I watched with a flash light and rubbed it around the botom of the intake. It seems like the quater size smear of clean oil there is a thin skim coat of it. the oil in my truck is chandeg often and i use mobil one. Is this an early sign of losing my plenum gasket? This is nice having the lap top out here with me i dont feel like im working alone.

It is a sign that the plenum gasket is blown. Not an early warning though...it is after the fact. The vacuum in the plenum is sucking oil into the intake from the crankcase. It is clean looking because you do keep the oil changed.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:05 PM
FFFD827
Professional

Thats not the news i was hoping to hear. Guess that will be the next project before i trash my new cat. the last plug i took out had the ceramic chipped about half way off around the electrode i can see where it has been fireing to the side instead of the top. im more concerned with the broked peice laying on top of my piston or some where worse. i stuck my shop vac hose over the hole i can only hope i got it. thanks for the help guys ill let you know how it runs when im finished.
I checked my PVC and the ball inside still rattles around so i think its good

Old 03-16-2012, 03:12 PM
TC3EMTB
Amateur

with the pcv valve, you should be able to shake it and hear the ball rattle. Also if you blow in one end you should be able to blow through it but not from the other end. If you can blow through it from both ends it is bad. Or if you cant blow through it at all.

with the spark plug piece do you have an inspection mirror that will fit in the hole? if so i would try to shine a light in there and look around i know its not an easy spot to get to or if you have an inspection camera( im lucky i have a camera but most people dont need them regularly enough to spend that kinda cash on em)

Old 03-16-2012, 03:18 PM
FFFD827
Professional

i dont have a small mirror. it would be nice. one more tool to add to the list. the parts store dont stock plug wire looms any more so i guess ill have to use zip ties to keet the wires from touching. most of my orig wire holders are broken

Old 03-16-2012, 03:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

The piece of spark plug more than likely got blown out of the cylinder thru the exhaust valve. if it were still in there, you would definitely hear it.......

Quick Reply: Firing order