2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

broken header bolt & stuck drums

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 11:56 AM
dipsherry
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default broken header bolt & stuck drums

ok so two problems that i got a slight idea how to fix but just want to double check. Ok first off my drums are rusted on i went to change back brakes but cant get drums off. any ideas i hit them with a little sledge but no luck. My grandad pulled out the 32lb sledge and i told him no i wanna keep my axles in my rearend. also 2 of my header bolts broke the 2 in the middle that are in the block that only have a nut on them. any idea on how to get these 2 out i now have a terrible exhaust leak and its driving me nuts. thanks

Old 02-16-2011, 12:14 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the drum backing plate has a slot in it then you can turn the adjusters to pull the shoes inward. I've found that spraying a lubricant inside of the drums to saturate the linings will help, but overall you're going to need a BFH (Big ****ing Hammer) to remove the drums. That, or go to your FLAPS and rent a drum puller. A 10lb sledge is more than enough, but 32lbs is overkill and will most likely break the drums.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

I used a three pound single jack to brake mine loose. Drown the lug/hub area with the penetrant of your choice, then, SMACK the drum at an angle, turn, smack, turn, smack. Might take a bit, but, it WILL come loose. Once it pops, you can generally just pull them right off.

If there is anything left sticking out of the head, weld a nut to it, and then try and extract them. If there isn't..... drill em out. Start with a small bit, and gradually go larger. Fit it with the largest 'e-z out' you can, and be CAREFUL.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:52 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If there is anything left sticking out of the head, weld a nut to it, and then try and extract them. If there isn't..... drill em out. Start with a small bit, and gradually go larger. Fit it with the largest 'e-z out' you can, and be CAREFUL.
Use the fire wrench before attempting any extraction method to "burn" any rust off of the threads

Old 02-16-2011, 12:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

I think the hot wrench is my favorite tool.......

Old 02-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think the hot wrench is my favorite tool.......

Here's mine:

Old 02-16-2011, 04:02 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ball point hammer or mini sledge between the studs, and alot of penetrant around the center of drum, most likely it is rusted together in the center, just keep swinging till they start to move

Old 02-16-2011, 05:36 PM
Kaldir
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can also put a little heat to the drum then give it a few smacks.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:34 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Put the rear axle on blocks or jacks, remove the tires, replace one lug nut loosely threaded. Hop in cab and turn truck over. Push gas lightly in drive and slam the brakes. The hubs will be loose.

Remove the header, and if there's any bolt left out, you can just about remove it with your fingers if the threads aren't rusted. All the torque on those bolts is located on the bottom side of the head, when it breaks off, that tension is gone and the remaining bolt will have no strain left on it.

I literally unscrewed my last broken header bolt with my fingers.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:05 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
If the drum backing plate has a slot in it then you can turn the adjusters to pull the shoes inward.
Not all drums have a slot to access the adjuster. I know mine don't.

Quick Reply: broken header bolt & stuck drums