2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Major work on a 46re...99 Ram Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 03:26 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This one, from the link to the FAQs:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/4...torial-911009/

BTW, after seeing this, I never want to take my tranny apart. It scared the **** out of me

Old 02-27-2011, 04:09 AM
nolazach
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought so many tools.. And I didn't run across any major problems. Had three tables with white sheets on them that I changed often.. Mainly made sure everything was really clean.. There is a spring in the 0/d that is at like 800#s but Harbor freight had a shop press for $45.
Changing the internals was easy. Honestly I had more trouble doing my brake drums than any part on the transmission.

Though I already see the error of my ways.
1. Didn't change the torque converter, which was dumb, not worth saving the $150 if I have to pull the transmission again. I know it's gonna be easier if I did it again, but still its far from fun. A lost of little steps.

2. didn't change any solenoids. Seems like there is one that causes a lot of problems with the 1-2 shift.

3. I did mod my valve body and there was work done to the 1-2 shift plunger, it was filed down and a larger spring used as per the shift kit specs. Maybe though I made a mistake..

4. I backed off the front band 2-7/8ths turn, many trans builders are saying to only do 1 to 1.5 turns.

I'm confident I can fix this. It just got too late. Judging by the problem I'd say either band seriously out of adjustment, or VB issue, either way don't have to pull the tranny.

Now if I find out my TC is shot, I'll be mad, because its so easy to change with the trans out, I'll just feel stupid for not changing it.

I used that tutorial, there are a few good links on this site, though none better than the FSM.
I have the ATSG book. as well.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:00 PM
nolazach
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SHE'S ALL DONE AND RUNS LIKE A CHAMP!!!!!!

Has never ran this good, its like having a new truck...

A ton of work, a lot of labor, and a lot of cursing.

Nothing worse than spending all that time on the tranny only to have it not shift.
But $99 and two electrical components later, she is shifting smooth as a caddy, or rough during WOT....
Put Insurance on her last night, going to get my plate in the Morning (hopefully I can move my Saints plate to it) .

Drove it on the I-10, drives smooth to fourth gear, kicks down very quick and firm.
Best of all no more fluid leaks..
Though since I haven't driven it in a while it was pretty disheartening to put $30 worth of gas in it and not even get a half a tank...

Also I hooked up my computer, and my O2 sensors are both at .9 volts under throttle, doesn't that mean I'm running really rich??
Though I know the PCM is probably in a learn mode right now, no CELs as yet.
Gonna detail it tomorrow and put it back to work this weekend...

I want to thank everyone who helped me out through this.
HeyYOu for pointing out that it was probably just a nad sensor and not a bad rebuuild job by me.
MonteC for your transmission Threads.
SilverDodge for your DIYs I've done so many based on your info

For the people at the Jeep forum and 4x4 forums with all that great 46re info.
And to all the other great posters here, I couldn't have done it without your help, and if I didn't mention you its not because I forgot you, its because I'm about to go to a parade and already started drinking..
Happy Mardi Gras, and thanks to all of y'all. (no not driving, lol)

So happy to have this thing done.
Thanks to Dodgeforum.com

Old 03-02-2011, 09:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Coolness. Glad ya got it fixed.

Quick Reply: Major work on a 46re...99 Ram Sport