2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Major work on a 46re...99 Ram Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 05:31 PM
nolazach
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major work on a 46re...99 Ram Sport

Okay, last May, actually the May before Last May, I put my truck in storage because I had other cars, and a pos ranger I was using for my truck needs.

My transmission slipped a little, but it was driveable.

Well anyway, I decided to remove the engine, the tranny and the rear end, and store the truck on dolleys...

Last week, I finally got back to the Dodge (after completing a ground up restoration on a XJ6, and fixing up a 750il) I still have my 93 5.0 I want to work on too, but I just haven't had the time. Now that I no longer have to travel all the time, I can get back to my hobby of working on cars.

So last week, I changed out the pistons, cams, crank shaft, rollers, and almost everything else I could on the engine. The engine is off to the side, in all its painted glory.

Now on to something I have never done before, an automatic transmission.

I put a shift-fix kit in the valve body and made modifications to it.
Now changing out all the clutches and junk in the tranny. It doesn't seem that hard, but Its not together yet.

I was kkinda wondering if other do it your selfers had anything in the way of tips or advice when it comes to the transmission.

I know I went crazy when I rebuilt the valve body and had an extra spring left over, tore the whole thing down, only to find the spring was an extra with the kit...

Haven't really ran into in big problems yet. I had the transmission wrapped up it saran wrap so all the parts are still lubricated, even after 16+ months of sitting.

I know cleanliness is key, and I have been cleaning everything very well. I also went with Kevlar bands, and usually all high end parts, recommended on this site. I could have bought a used tranny for cheaper (and if my rebuild fails, I still will). I just wanted to try this, and as the truck has been sitting so long, its not like its a DD.

I have a 46re rebuild manual, the FSM from this site, and tons of printouts.
I have to say so far the valve body has been the most complex component. Also the 800# spring in the O/D wasn't fun either, but luckily harbor freight has cheap shop presses.

Stupidly I didn't take any pics of the engine, or the transmission so far, I grabbed my old camera so I can at least take pics of the assembly.

Really the thing I dread most so far is the rear-end, I hate those things. And its always hard to get all the gears in the housing and slide the shafts through.

But the engine was easy. hardest thing may have been taking the starter off (really who designed that??? Trick is 2 10"x.5" extensions...)

I hope to have this truck back on the road, by Monday....

Also stupid me, I didn't turn my license plate in when I canceled the insurance, and just found out I have to pay a $600 penalty to register the truck again....

Oh well... Back to work, was just lurking today, trying to find out some info...
After working on European cars for the last year and a half, I forgot how easy the Dodge was...

Old 02-16-2011, 05:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Have a look in the FAQ section for the Transmission thread by J415. There are some links there to others that have rebuilt trannys, and even some step by steps. Not sure if any of them will reveal any 'secrets'.... but hey, won't hurt to look, right?

Old 02-16-2011, 05:42 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Never mind, lol I already got the link for the FAQ though, https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...nsmission.html

Old 02-16-2011, 09:03 PM
BIGBIRD85
Veteran

for a tranny rebuild i have a suggestion...................let a transmission guy do it!

just my 2cents

Old 02-16-2011, 09:27 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BIGBIRD85
for a tranny rebuild i have a suggestion...................let a transmission guy do it!

just my 2cents
You might say that until you realize how simple they are and how much labor you are charged by that transmission guy. A factory rebuild could be done for less than $500 in parts and its hard to get a shop to do it for less than $1500.

I rebuilt the tranny in my '94 for around $700 (with upgrades) and its still going strong 10k miles later. I also did the tranny in the '89 and plan on selling it to make a profit.

Last edited by Gerehead8; 02-16-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:30 AM
nolazach
Veteran

got it all back in the case today...

Last time I looked here there weren't any Transmission DIY's, glad there is now.
Been away too long.
Time to start loving my Dodge again..

(transmission seems not too hard so far, especially if you have a FSM, pictures, diagrams, and put all your parts into seperate labled baggies..

I bought a whole bunch of white sheets from Goodwill, to lay parts on, and modified a table to hold the tranny upright while I slid everything in.
Off to buy a new dial indicator tomorrow to check for input shaft play, and all thats left is to throw the valve body in, mount it to the engine, and put the supports back in and finish the rear end...

I been very meticulous, the only thing I am worried about is that this trucj has been out of action so long...

But the engine and tranny should be better than ever..

My old and was so worn out.. Plus I put an improved shift kit in the valvebody...
With all new springs..

Its actually been fun so far...

Old 02-26-2011, 12:33 PM
nolazach
Veteran

So the major test is today. Engine rebuilt with some minor mods (cam, rockers, Kegger mod, plenum plate, better pistons) mainly just wanted to change out seals and freeze plugs and kept going further and further. After having the heads machined, I decided to just change the pistons. New valve springs, new pushrods, new fuel injectors.
Which reminded me, I still have old gas in the tank, may have to delay firing it up to drain the tank....

Transmission rebuilt with more clutches than stock, new steels, new springs, shift fix kit in the VB, and the all important drain plug.

All new brakes, new wheel bearings, replaces rubber end-links. Still have more stuff I want to do.

So, I can't wait to see how it all works out. Can't believe I almost slipped on the gas, putting fouled out fuel in a newly re-built engine would suck.

Hopefully I'll be hearing my 318 again before nightfall. Just turned Insurance back on, and gonna get a new plate Monday.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:19 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerehead8
You might say that until you realize how simple they are and how much labor you are charged by that transmission guy. A factory rebuild could be done for less than $500 in parts and its hard to get a shop to do it for less than $1500.

I rebuilt the tranny in my '94 for around $700 (with upgrades) and its still going strong 10k miles later. I also did the tranny in the '89 and plan on selling it to make a profit.
All I got to say is, AMEN to that. Why pay someone else to do something you can do if you just put your mind to it.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:45 AM
nolazach
Veteran

Engine sounds great. It started on first try (not counting turning it over with fuse #9 pulled and the coil off to lube the engine)

Rear end and brakes seem to work great. Park, Neutral, and Reverse work, lol...

But for some reason, either hydraulic or mechanical, by front band isn't engaging.
I torqued it to 72in*pds and backed off 2-7/8ths revolutions.
Gonna pressure test tomorrow, I didn't get it back together until 9pm. And my brake tag is expired and I have no license plate, so I don't want to test it during the day, because local police are like the gestapo..

So basically, best case scenario the band is too loose. Worst case scenario, have to take apart the VB... Maybe I made a mistake.

I did re-use the old TC, because I was running low on funds, and they are expensive.
But I'm sure the internals are good.

By going into reverse I know the front clutch and rear band are operating.
By going into first I know the rear clutch is operating.

So my problem is the front band is not engaging.. I ran it up to 4,500 with no attempt to shift into second.

So step one, tighten front band.
Step two test again.
Step three perform hydraulic test.
Four, possibly re-build Valve body again and see if I put a check ball in the wrong place or used the wrong spring somewhere. I'm pretty sure I was exact.
Now I wish I had pulled a second valve body from the boneyard.

Anyway. I wasn't expecting it to go perfect on my first ever rebuild. I don't think its a major problem. My steels clutches and original first band were shot. So I needed the internals changed. I have the FSM.
So.. Just looks like another day or so at this.

I'm glad I got the engine together.

I got to rebuild a Jaguar v-12 next, should be fun...

Last edited by nolazach; 02-27-2011 at 03:24 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:24 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there was one thread that had a complete rebuild that went into painstaking detail. I think the DIY was 15 pages with pics for every step. However it was done at a rebuild shop with all tools needed. IT WAS NOT for the average home garage guy. Unless your garage was a professional shop.

Quick Reply: Major work on a 46re...99 Ram Sport