2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

First Post! First Truck!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 06:17 PM
MyMonkey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Post! First Truck!

Ok folks. I found myself in need of a work truck to haul stuff in once in a while. Went in search of one and found a great deal on a 97 Ram 1500 SLT Laramie. 5.2 Liter. Little rough but seems to be running ok and everything works on it. I have read many helpful posts here. I look forward to learning to work on the engine. It has 151,000 miles on it. I will likely start with the seafoam treatment and either flush the tranny or remove that one way valve. (Not sure yet)

Thanks for an informative forum! I will post some pics asap but keep in mind it's a bit rough.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:41 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome!

If you don't know with certainty that the transmission was serviced at 100,000 miles, you should adjust the bands and change fluid and filter straight away. Get that check valve out, too. It's not going to do you any favors.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:59 PM
MyMonkey

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Welcome!

If you don't know with certainty that the transmission was serviced at 100,000 miles, you should adjust the bands and change fluid and filter straight away. Get that check valve out, too. It's not going to do you any favors.
I was just reading about how to change the trans fluid and tighten the bands. Think I might give it a try. Thanks!

I have no idea what service has been done to the truck so better to be safe then sorry I suppose.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:20 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

welcome to df.
take a look at our FAQ's here.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-faqs-143/

^^-download the 01 service manual. it'll be about 95% correct.

also see the ones at pavementsucks.
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech.php

be careful adjusting the bands on the trans. if the trans is good, and you don't know what you're doing, then leave it alone...

Old 02-16-2011, 09:52 PM
TheBigRedOne

Just leave the transmission alone. It will kill itself without your help.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:15 PM
outlaw93z
Amateur

congrats on your truck; i have a 97 1500 as well. changing the trans fluid and filter is a good idea, i did so on mine when i got it (190,000 miles) and it cleared a small slip it had right up

Old 02-17-2011, 10:27 PM
MyMonkey

Well, I may take the advice of some here. I might change the fluid in the tranny but leave the bands alone. Seems a bit confusing looking at the diagram of how many turns etc. I can change the fluid there though! LOL

Thanks for the replys. Any input on the seafoam thing? Thinking of doing it in both this truck as well as my suv actually.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:01 PM
MyMonkey

Forgot to add. I'm not sure that the tranny is perfect. The only thing I notice is a bit of delay and clunk when shifting into Drive. Not too bad though. Eh?

Also, thought I would look in to the plenum thing as well as the rear diff service and a tuneup.

Quick Reply: First Post! First Truck!