2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Driver side window doesn't work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Smashed-And-RAM
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver side window doesn't work?

I've had problems out of this window since the day I bought the truck. For awhile the window would go down if I tapped on the door, now it won't go down at all. I took the switch apart, it looked okay, but I cleaned it anyways. The driver's side window still won't go down. I tried listening for the relay to click, but it doesn't click at all, yet the other side goes up/down without a problem, and the windows lock. Could this relay be the problem? I know sometimes if you hit a relay it will become unstuck and work again. I also checked for continuity at the motor, and it's there, and I checked for continuity at the back of the switch (blue/white) wires and it only works when I push the up switch. When that happens, I am not sure if the driver's side motor does anything though.

Should I just replace the switch and hope for the best, or do these motors die out?

Also, how hard is it to replace just the motor? The regulator seems to work fine.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Truedge
Professional

Well, my 97's windows have problems in the winter, but that because they freeze shut. Smacking on the window SOMETIMES will allow it to break the ice.

I have lately been using a clean angled putty scraper to break it free. But if this isn't you problem the motors should be replaceable, but I'd bet they're not cheap. You may be able to replace them with a scrapyard motor, the only problem is they may not be any better. Either way, when you break into your door to take care of this problem, make sure that you lubricate all the mechanics.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Smashed-And-RAM
Professional

Well, it's 52°F outside right now, so they aren't frozen. It did work earlier today, but now that side has completely quit working.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

There is no relay. You probably have a bad window motor. They don't last forever.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Smashed-And-RAM
Professional

Apparently it does have a relay in the switch assembly. If you read in the service manual it states this ...

OPERATION
The power window switch for the driver side front
door has an Auto label on it. This switch has a second
detent position beyond the normal Down position
that provides an automatic one-touch window down
feature. This feature is controlled by an electronic
circuit and a relay that are integral to the driver side
front door power window and lock switch unit.

Do you think I am wasting my time buying another window switch? It's sure is easier to change the switch than it is to change the motor ...

I may just run a 12v lead to the motor and see if it goes up/down. I suppose that's one way to figure out if it's the motor or not.

Last edited by Smashed-And-RAM; 03-04-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Smashed-And-RAM
Professional

Well, I got my answer. Went out there and lightly smacked the motor with a hammer. The window is working again. I hope it can make it till we get a few more warm sunny days.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Smashed-And-RAM
Well, I got my answer. Went out there and lightly smacked the motor with a hammer. The window is working again. I hope it can make it till we get a few more warm sunny days.
What? Don't like working in the cold????? Come on man..... (I wholeheartedly concur.......)

Leave it to dodge to overly complicate something as simple as a dual throw switched circuit......

Old 03-04-2011, 11:14 PM
Smashed-And-RAM
Professional

I usually don't mind working on stuff in the cold, but that's just too many knuckle busters, smashed hands, and tight spaces for a cold day. If it quits again I'll just have to bite the bullet and beat myself up over a window that won't go down.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If its cold out, and if you are not a smoker..... lot less of an issue.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:44 PM
Smashed-And-RAM
Professional

Well, I follow the strategy of Smoke 'em if you've got 'em. Got a pack a day habit, and slowly working on a pack & a half. So, yeah ...

Quick Reply: Driver side window doesn't work?