2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Torque converter not locking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 09:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Mine runs 1500 at 55....... Something isn't quite right there. Need to figger out which you AREN'T getting though, TCC, or 4th gear. How much do RPM drop when it shifts from 3rd?

Old 03-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Novarider
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's the TCC because if I turn OD off it goes 1st, 2nd, 3rd thats it and as soon as I turn OD back on it shifts into 4th. Because of that it makes me think that OD is working fine and the TCC isn't otherwise the OD button wouldn't effect the TCC locking. Right? The more I read the more I think its the solenoid. It's a significant drop in RPM when going from 3rd to 4th like it's a gear not the TCC

If I turn OD off it should shift 1st, 2nd, 3rd then the TCC should lock...Correct?
If I turn OD on it should shift 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th then the TCC should lock...Correct?

If what I said above is correct the then I'm not getting the TCC because what I'm getting is this:

With OD off it shifts 1st, 2nd, 3rd thats it nothing else
With OD on it shifts 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th thats it nothing else

So that means my TCC isn't engaging right?

Other than no TCC it's running great. Shifts are fast and smooth just like they should be. It hooks up great when it down shifts.

Last edited by Novarider; 03-05-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think you are correct. The FSM doesn't say diddly about TCC when discussing O/D off mode......

Now for the bad news....... the torque converters in these trucks, (which is where the converter clutch is, unfortunately......) are known to be marginal at best..... you can get a solenoid 'set', which comes with 4th gear, and TCC solenoids.... but, you gotta drop the valve body to change them. If, when you drop the pan, you find a bunch of metal on the magnet...... I think you would be much further ahead doing a rebuild, rather than swapping solenoids. (and replace the T/C.....)

Old 03-05-2011, 10:26 PM
Novarider
Captain

I don't have $2000 to do a transmission rebuild I just bought the dam truck!!!

I guess I'm going to change the fluid/filter tomorrow and inspect the pan for metal shavings and see what I get... Probably change the solenoid to and hope for the best.

If I find metal in the pan should I skip the solenoid because the transmission is toast? How much metal is a sign of a bad transmission? Just a little bit or does it have to be a lot?

Can someone please give me a link to the TCC solenoid? I found it earlier on advance or autozone website but now I can't find it... I want to make sure I get the correct part before I tear into my truck.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think you want the D12420C, from here.

Give 'em a call to verify.

Any more than like a spoonful of metal is going to be too much.

Where did you buy the truck from? If you got it from some flavor of dealer, take it back. Make 'em fix it.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Novarider
Captain

I bought it from an individual on craigslist. Its a nice truck other than this it runs great.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

So much for that thought.......

Have a look, see what you find, take it from there. If you find ANY metal, you will probably want to remove, and clean out, the governor pressure sensor and solenoid as well.

Grab the 01 service manual from the faq section here. I think it will help ya out. At least have the procedures for R&R on the various parts.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Novarider
Captain

Already have the manual. Thanks

Old 03-05-2011, 11:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Good Plan.

have a look, see what ya got, let us know.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:20 AM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Novarider
I think it's the TCC because if I turn OD off it goes 1st, 2nd, 3rd thats it and as soon as I turn OD back on it shifts into 4th. Because of that it makes me think that OD is working fine and the TCC isn't otherwise the OD button wouldn't effect the TCC locking. Right? The more I read the more I think its the solenoid. It's a significant drop in RPM when going from 3rd to 4th like it's a gear not the TCC

If I turn OD off it should shift 1st, 2nd, 3rd then the TCC should lock...Correct?
If I turn OD on it should shift 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th then the TCC should lock...Correct?

If what I said above is correct the then I'm not getting the TCC because what I'm getting is this:

With OD off it shifts 1st, 2nd, 3rd thats it nothing else
With OD on it shifts 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th thats it nothing else

So that means my TCC isn't engaging right?

Other than no TCC it's running great. Shifts are fast and smooth just like they should be. It hooks up great when it down shifts.
^^^^Everything stated above is correct. Your TC is not locking like it should.

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Good Plan.
have a look, see what ya got, let us know.
^^^^^^Just wanted to reiterate this comment. Seems like a lot of people post here, find a fix, and then we never hear from them again; robbing us of the "fixed it" feeling, and never giving us a definitive answer for common problems so we may help others.

Quick Reply: Torque converter not locking?