2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Torque converter not locking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 02:46 AM
candymancan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you mean it shifts 1-2-3 ect. You start off in first gear..., there is no 1st gear shift so you wouldnt feal it. I think all of you are confusing the shifts. It shouldnt be 1-2-3-4. It should be 2-3-4-lock. If you turn OD off, then turn it back on if your going fast enough the truck should shift into overdrive, then lock up right after. Watch my video's take a close look at the 2nd one, you'll see what it should do when i turn OD on and off, you'll see it shift once then lock. Then when im under 40mph it will shift once and not lock, because im under 40mph which is normal.

Also when you push overdrive off, then your in 3rd gear and the torque converter should be locking in that also but the RPM drop will be small like 2-300 or so, the torque converter locks for me at 40mph if OD is on, and when its OFF it will downshift in 3rd gear and the TC locks but in 3rd gear instead of OD. Watch my 2nd video closely watch when i turn OD and off how it downshifts and rpm's go up and then the rpm's drop slightly thats the TC locking in 3rd gear

Alot of people dont relise this but the torque converter locks in 3rd and overdrive, depending if the button is on or off for overdrive

How much does your rpm drop during the 4th shift ? If it drops like 600+rpm then your tc is working fine. At 60mph, my RPM's are around 1700, 1900 if im giving it more then a little throttle, it depends how hard im pushing the pedal. If you were at 60mph and your torque converter wasnt locking then you should be at 2500rpm or so at 60mph. If your isnt shifting like mine is then your TC is probably not working. The guy in the first page who said yep mine is a 2-2300 rpm also at 60mph then he probably doesnt relise his TC isnt working either. 2300 rpm is high for 60mph, you should be at least 500rpm less then that to "maintain" 60mph. Only time im at 2300rpm is when im going like 70+, or when im giving it medium throttle from a stop while its still shifting.

Instead of guessing here on how your interpreting your shifts why not just make a video like I did and well be able to tell if your TC is working or not

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcLv_tMmtY4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae3wPelkMSI

Watch these video's, this is my Jeep but it has the same 5.9 engine and 46re transmission. Its really easy to tell the difference between the torque converter and a gear shift, just listen to it and watch it

Last edited by candymancan; 03-06-2011 at 03:20 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:48 AM
Novarider
Captain

I'm not confused you are (thats a joke)

Ok I will make it a little more clear from a dead stop and in drive with OD off it shifts FROM 1st to 2nd then to 3rd and thats it. Something like this

(with OD off (the od light is on) Hit gas pedal start moving, it shifts into 2nd then into 3rd then...nothing thats it

(with OD on (the od light is off) Hit gas pedal start moving, it shifts into 2nd then into 3rd then 4th then...nothing thats it

Does that make more sense?

Old 03-06-2011, 08:15 AM
Novarider
Captain

I have been reading that its a good idea to remove a check valve in the transmission line. How would I do that? Just cut it out and replace with new tubing and connectors?

Old 03-06-2011, 09:01 AM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Novarider
I have been reading that its a good idea to remove a check valve in the transmission line. How would I do that? Just cut it out and replace with new tubing and connectors?
There is a guide here in the faqs section (I think its under the transmissions sticky). It is a very good idea, but it wont save your torque converter if its already failing.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Novarider
Captain

I know it can't save a failing torque converter but it will keep the tranny from overheating and frying

Old 03-06-2011, 09:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Originally Posted by Novarider
I know it can't save a failing torque converter but it will keep the tranny from overheating and frying
Getting it out of there is a good idea. They tend to load up with crap, and prevent fluid flow thru the cooler. Trans overheats, and you are done.

Some folks have found that it delays gear engagement when first starting out after the truck has been sitting overnight. Some don't. My truck has to sit for a week without being moved before I notice any delay in engagement. (I have no check valve.)

Old 03-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Novarider
Captain
Old 03-06-2011, 01:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Can't link to searches.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Novarider
Captain

Like its not allowed or the search didn't work?

Here is the part number ECH*TCS565 search for it on napa website

Old 03-06-2011, 01:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Get the one from wittrans. Navigating NAPA's website is an exercise in frustration, and will NOT give me what I want.

Quick Reply: Torque converter not locking?