2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

please help..... axle problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 03:12 PM
killacoon1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help..... axle problems

have a 97 1500 5.9 when i first bought the truck i had to replace the 2 pass axles and the bearing which is now a bushing on the left side of the cad and the one inbetween the axles (which are the only 2 that i know of) plus seals. i couldnt drive my truck this winter in 4x4 because of a bad feeling in the front end like it had a flat tire or somthin and would leak fluid out of the ends after words.. just recently i noticed that my pass u joint is bad and i have a bad seal leak on the pass side i have no clue what my prob is or where to begin.. i opened up the cad and there is play with the intermediate axle in that new plastic bushing on the left i dont know why that is already worn out.. what should i check ring/pinion bearings?... etc

Old 03-10-2011, 05:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Replace the U-joint, and axle seal on the passenger side.

If the axles have some up and down slop between them, replace the little bushing in there as well. Be sure to lube it up good before you install it.

Since you are going to be in there again, might try and find the needle bearing that should be in there, instead of a bushing, for the inner axle.

Make sure fluid level is up to snuff, and check the rest of the u-joints in the front driveline.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:39 PM
killacoon1

i do have play in my front drive shaft as well.. it has a little in the slip joint under that rubber boot.. and where it goes into the axle diff has a little bit of play too it looks wet there like it has a little drip at the pinion seal im guessing but its not enough to make a puddle could that be wearing my axles out.. or could maby having bad ring and pinion bearings do it.....

Old 03-12-2011, 10:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

More likely the pinion bearing is going, and that's why the seal is leaking..... I think you need to drop the front driveshaft, and start turning things by hand. See how it all feels. It should be smooth as a baby's butt. If you feel any sticking/gritty/binding/grinding, replace parts.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:10 PM
killacoon1

would a bad pinion bearing cause my axles to go through bushings and leak

Old 03-12-2011, 03:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Nope. That's a separate problem. Sorry.....

Quick Reply: please help..... axle problems