2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Parking brake only works when pressed

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 11:15 PM
pinkrain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Final Solution??

Lukeca- I just came across this post doing research on the same issue that I'm having. The brake seems to work correctly when pushed however is no longer ratcheting into place. I was wondering what you came up with for the final solution? Thanks!

Old 02-01-2012, 04:12 PM
57Dodgeman

Reach up above the pedal just in front of the large coil spring for the pedal. There is a metal lever. Pull down on that lever. I found on my 97 2500 that was the problem. Stuck in the released position, therefore not able to ratchet. Probably just needing a little lubrication. Hope this helps.

Last edited by 57Dodgeman; 02-01-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:56 AM
safrantz
Professional

Originally Posted by 57Dodgeman
Reach up above the pedal just in front of the large coil spring for the pedal. There is a metal lever. Pull down on that lever. I found on my 97 2500 that was the problem. Stuck in the released position, therefore not able to ratchet. Probably just needing a little lubrication. Hope this helps.
Could you supply a picture of this lever? Thanks

Old 03-07-2012, 03:29 PM
57Dodgeman

Safrantz, Look under the dash and locate the cable that runs from the brake release handle to the foot pedal assy. If that cable appears to be stretched or buckled as it was on my truck, then the release lever is stuck in the open position. Look at where the release cable attaches at the foot pedal assy. That is a release lever. If you pull down on that lever it should drop back down to it's normal position and the pedal should act as normal. Let me know if this fixes your problem.

Quick Reply: Parking brake only works when pressed