2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Parking brake only works when pressed

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 12:02 AM
lukeca
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Parking brake only works when pressed

I just realized that my parking brake only works if I'm holding the parking brake pedal down. It doesn't make that ratcheting noise and the pedal just comes back up when I let it go (I can't remember if the pedal is supposed to stay where you push it?) The parking brake light works though haha, and it goes off when I pull the release handle.

Anyway is there some way to fix that, I was looking at the service manual and it seems like it is all one pedal assembly, but can you fix just the ratcheting mechanism? Any common failures that people know of with the parking brake pedal and maybe there is already a fix? I'm just not coming up with anything in the search, maybe I'm not searching the right terms.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:25 AM
edlucky1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure that its not working? Did you try pushing your truck after engaging it, I believe some models the pedal stays down and others come up, but I may be mistaken.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:33 AM
lukeca
Professional

Yeah I'm sure, I actually found out because I was removing the dash trim and I had to move the shift lever down so I could get the trim out from behind it, thought the parking brake was set but then the truck started rolling backwards because my driveway has a slight incline. If I hold my foot on the parking brake pedal then it works and holds the truck, but as soon as I let go it releases the brakes.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:34 AM
edlucky1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your problem sounds like its related to the lever.

Looks like its all one assembly. I don't think that you could fix it, because it looks like you wouldn't be able to take it apart without breaking it. I would take it out and look at it, your not using it anyways. Repair it if you can, otherwise head to the dealer or junkyard, couldn't find anywhere online that sold them.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:43 AM
mrfarrell
Veteran

or your parking brake is wayyy out of adjustment and the rachet only rachets down so far but you can continue to push the pedal further it just wont stay..and yes on alot of models including my own the parking brake rachet does not stay down when the parking brake is applied..i havent heard of one of these pedal assemblys failing yet..so check the cable tension under the cab with it off then check it with it on..if it tightens with it on your ebrake is out of adjustment and can be adjusted via a adjustment nut on the cable or adjusters on each wheel which can be accessed through the backing plate..

Old 03-15-2011, 02:51 PM
lukeca
Professional

Thanks mrfarrell I'll check that out,

I have one question though, on your pedal do you at least feel or hear the ratchet? The odd thing on mine is it's totally smooth and no clicking noise, not much resistance really either, it's pretty much the same feeling as pushing the real brake pedal.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Should hear/feel something. Probably just sticky/dirty/corroded... going after it with some penetrating lubricant might fix it.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:21 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
... going after it with some penetrating lubricant might fix it.

That's what she said!

Old 03-15-2011, 03:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
That's what she said!
But I like it when she squeaks.......

Old 03-15-2011, 05:33 PM
lukeca
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Should hear/feel something. Probably just sticky/dirty/corroded... going after it with some penetrating lubricant might fix it.
That could be it too, I find dirt in weird places on this truck, I think it's been through pretty deep water/mud or something

Quick Reply: Parking brake only works when pressed