2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP! What's this part in my tranny pan??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 09:48 AM
lamoglia
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
Yes, but my post was better
thanks guys heading out right now to try it. i was scared of touching that linkage but now will do it. hopefully the band isn't cracked just loose. i'll pop the wedge in and tighten to spec. will let you know how it goes in a bit. wish me luck.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Good luck!

Old 03-19-2011, 11:40 AM
lamoglia

ok pulled out the valve body. that dang e pin holding the park thing was hard to get to. i can't imagine putting it back. ugh. anyway, another problem. the band is there, but it's crooked. in other words, i can't get it to set fully flush so the wedge and the other side can hold it in place. it's like something on the back side of that drum it wraps around is in its' way and doesn't allow it to sit flush. I'm worried if i pull that band out completely (by the wedge side) it won't go back in. any ideas?? i should be taking pics but i'm filthy and don't want to touch the camera but will if it helps

Old 03-19-2011, 11:56 AM
lamoglia

Originally Posted by lamoglia
ok pulled out the valve body. that dang e pin holding the park thing was hard to get to. i can't imagine putting it back. ugh. anyway, another problem. the band is there, but it's crooked. in other words, i can't get it to set fully flush so the wedge and the other side can hold it in place. it's like something on the back side of that drum it wraps around is in its' way and doesn't allow it to sit flush. I'm worried if i pull that band out completely (by the wedge side) it won't go back in. any ideas?? i should be taking pics but i'm filthy and don't want to touch the camera but will if it helps
here is a pic. see how it's crooked? if i pull the entire band out by the right side, will it go back in?

Old 03-19-2011, 01:02 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Its possible that the strut on the opposite side of the band linkage has wedged sideways since there is no pressure from the adjustment anchor holding the band straight. The strut is a flat piece of metal that fits into a groove on the apply lever and then the other end fits into the notch in the flex band. On the opposite side of the band is where your anchor came from.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:09 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

Here's the only pic in the ATSG service manual:

Old 03-19-2011, 01:28 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
Here's the only pic in the ATSG service manual
Here's the link for the ATSG Manual.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...nsmission.html
Hey AIMS, now I have the better post. JK

Old 03-19-2011, 01:42 PM
lamoglia

ok i did it. i just kept pulling and pushing till i brought it back down. it leads me to believe the strap is bent from driving it loose. now the hard question. how much to tighten. i tighten it to a point where i can turn the tranny and i hear it rub up against it, but not so much that i can't get enough travel with a screwdriver to get about 1/2" play. seems to be ok where it is. putting it all back together now. i should replace that strap but no money = hope it works.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:48 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a specific sequence that you HAVE TO go by when it comes to tightening the front and rear band. DEFINITELY FOLLOW THOSE PROCEDURES!!!

Old 03-19-2011, 02:43 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

release outer set screw,

Torque to 72in/lbs.

Back off 2 turns,

Tighten outer nut to 31 ft/lbs. Do not let the inner adjustment screw move.

Do not bubba this procedure or youll be overhauling the transmission soon.

Quick Reply: HELP! What's this part in my tranny pan??