2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Got a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 12:21 PM
Twilliams22
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a few questions.

Hey guys, Im new here! (my first post)

so id like to start off by saying that im only 17, i got to auto tech for my 2nd year, and im still pretty new at all this stuff.
so bare with me please.

so my pop pop wants to give me his '00 Ram 1500 reg cap, auto, 2wd.
(i have the vin if needed)

and he told me that the tranny in it is pretty much done for. well i know hes not the brightest when it comes to cars. but i was hoping there was something i could do before i was forced to overhaul/rebuild or buy a new trans for it.

Im pretty sure it has over 140k ish miles. (i still have to call him and see whats really wrong with it Example: gear slippage or like if it wont go into gear) He told me it runs. so i have no clue.

I been doing a little research. and i was woundering if maybe one of these would be better than doing a whole rebuild or buying a new trans:
-check valve delete
-new filter
-band adj
-bigger pan
-external filter
-Sonnax Sure Cure

and if i was forced to get a new tranny. would it be cheaper to just get a rebuild or buy a new tranny.

and as much as i love dodge they been in my family for as long as i remember. but im woundering if maybe im just better in buying a used car.

Thanks for any help.

~Tyler

Old 03-20-2011, 12:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

If you have a reasonable job, or, don't have to pay for your own gas..... the trucks really aren't that bad. Just depends on what you want.

As for the trans, they kinda sucked from the factory...... so, failure is just not that uncommon. If you can get the actual symptoms, we can prolly help ya out on that score.

If you can do the rebuild yourself...... you can save a boatload of cash, and spend it instead on trans upgrades, to ensure you don't have to deal with it again any time in the near future.

You have done your homework though. All of those items you listed would be a good plan.

So, find out what it's (not?) doing, and let us know.

Welcome to DF!

Old 03-20-2011, 12:50 PM
Twilliams22
Amateur

Thanks heyyou. im going out for the day but ill give me pop a call. stay in touch (: haha and thanks again.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:33 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

welcome to df.
test drive the truck and come up with an accurate appraisal of what its doing, or not doing.

then read through MonteC's transmission thread in the DIY. there are only a handful of cures short of a rebuild, the most common being - replace governor pressure sensor and solenoid, and adjust the bands and change the fluild.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:54 PM
Twilliams22
Amateur

okay guys, just got back from my girlfriends. haha. sorry. but uhh i called pop. he says it will go into gear but not shift out of first. soo I hope that helps.

its a '00 so im pretty sure its a 46RE

What should i do?

sounds to me like i need a new trans fml. haha. rebuild or buy new or even find one in the junk yard or something?

thanks again guys. you guys are awesome.

~Tyler

Old 03-20-2011, 07:57 PM
97Rampowerhouse
Captain

Originally Posted by Twilliams22
okay guys, just got back from my girlfriends. haha. sorry. but uhh i called pop. he says it will go into gear but not shift out of first. soo I hope that helps.

its a '00 so im pretty sure its a 46RE

What should i do?

sounds to me like i need a new trans fml. haha. rebuild or buy new or even find one in the junk yard or something?

thanks again guys. you guys are awesome.

~Tyler

I would take the trans and get it rebuilt... Make sure the transmission repair shop is decent, because there are a lot of tranny shops around my area that f these trannys up even more.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:38 PM
Twilliams22
Amateur

okay. I think if im going to get the trans rebuild im going to take it to my tech and see if we can do it there.

but is there anything i should try to do before i just go and rebuild the trans. thats kinda my last resort. you know what i mean?

Old 03-20-2011, 08:57 PM
wyomingdodge7
Veteran

Is there any way that could be a sensor/solenoid problem?? I'm not good with any of this, just thought that if there was any chance it could be that's a $100 fix instead of.... waayy more.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:59 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Twilliams22
okay. I think if im going to get the trans rebuild im going to take it to my tech and see if we can do it there.

but is there anything i should try to do before i just go and rebuild the trans. thats kinda my last resort. you know what i mean?
Do the check vale delete first, check this thread https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-faqs/242106-transmissions.html post 8 I did it for 8 dollars make sure you use line rated for tranny fluid.
Then do fluid and filter change and make sure you check in neutral hot and shift it thru the gears and keep checking fluid till its full.
Hope that helps.

Dave

Old 03-21-2011, 09:50 AM
torike
Default I would like to ask for help!

Hi gays.
I am writing from Hungary. I am a collector.
The appertaining have a Dodge Ram 1996 edition of Indianapolis car handler.
Where can I beszerezeni authentic certificate, that the car was really Indiannapolisban handler car?

The Dodge Ram Information:
Year: 1996
VIN: 3B7HC2670TM147009
Color: White
Transmission: Manual
Engine type: Magnum

Can anyone help on where I can obtain that document, that the car is really the year of 1996 Indianapolis car was the handler?

Quick Reply: Got a few questions.