2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Couple of Coolant Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Annihilator_X9
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Couple of Coolant Leaks

Okay gents,

I have two coolant leaks. Wondering how bad one of them is to fix.

Is there an o-ring in there or something? When I did my plenum I didn't see one. I put a little RTV around it to see if it would stop it, but that didn't work very well. Slowed it down but not completely.

The other one is these 2 lines which I don't think is a big deal:

But, that line in the water pump, it just snaps in there and I didn't notice any way for it to seal up.

Thanks!

Old 03-21-2011, 04:07 PM
BamaRam97
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could be mistaken, but I believe the inlet line into the water pump has an O ring on the end of it. It also has a clamp that bolts into the block to hold it in tightly. Did you put a new water pump on or was it the old one?

Old 03-21-2011, 04:36 PM
Annihilator_X9
Captain

It's the old water pump. I didn't see an o-ring on the inlet line, so that would be the problem I'm assuming. First time I've ever had a dodge engine apart so I didn't know what was supposed to be there.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:53 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

those 2 lines are for your tranny lines bud...you kinda need to worry about those or you can say good-bye to your tranny!

Old 03-21-2011, 06:30 PM
Annihilator_X9
Captain

Good to know. I'll replace them this week then.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

For the inlet tube to the water pump, just replace it with a new one. Mine rusted the off on the end, and there was nothing to hold the o-ring in place.... new one solved the problem.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:21 PM
romadramowner
Professional

When you replace the inlet tube just make sure you use the bolt-down clamp as a guide for the farthest you shove it down into the water pump. Otherwise you may end up ruining the o-ring if it gets caught down in the pump. It's a super easy part to replace as you only need to loosen that bolt.

It may seem obvious but I made that mistake last week so I'm speaking from a recent learning experience. I shoved the tube too far down and when I pulled it back up to match the bracket the O-ring apparently got ruined...

Old 03-22-2011, 03:45 AM
supra300zx

Your first picture> the water pump inlet tube, I've had to change a few times and its pretty simple. The oring that comes on it isnt sufficient and will start leaking soon. You can either buy a new tube from dodge or replace the oring. Either way, grease the oring and get some high temp RTV and apply a liberal amount ABOVE the Oring then install and tighten the fastener holding the tube. NOTE: your fix will last much longer and it will really help if you drained some coolant so the waterpump isnt full of coolant. or you can suck some out with a turkey baster or something...

Cheers

Old 03-22-2011, 03:50 AM
supra300zx

Since no one discussed your second leak and I forgot to tell you in the last post.
Those lines typically leak from the clamped ends. I dont know if those pictured are oil lines or power steering lines and I cant go look at my truck now, but they're cheap and easy to replace. Now that I mention it, my power steering pressure hoses need to be replaced.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:35 AM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by supra300zx
Since no one discussed your second leak and I forgot to tell you in the last post.
Those lines typically leak from the clamped ends. I dont know if those pictured are oil lines or power steering lines and I cant go look at my truck now, but they're cheap and easy to replace. Now that I mention it, my power steering pressure hoses need to be replaced.
it actually has already been discussed. i told him what they were already. they are not p/s lines, or oil lines. they are his transmission cooler lines.

Quick Reply: Couple of Coolant Leaks