2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

one thing after another

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 12:13 AM
dvowicker
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default one thing after another

okay so since i finally fixed my stuttering problem with my o2 sensor i have now gotten a new problem(s). first problem is when i get on my truck (hard) at high rpms i have a high pitched sqeak but only at high rpms. Second problem is it smells like burning brakes tonight i went for a ride and i smelt it so i got out of truck and checked all my fluids. everything was fine except for the coolant overflow which was pretty low. so i dont know where my coolant is going. and its not in my oil. i run royal purple and the oil was still purple so i know that its not going into my oil. third problem is the truck is acting like it doesnt want to stay in overdrive. i have a sct tuner and at about 45 it is running a high 2k rpm and wont shift into overdrive till about fifty but if im driving my truck running 60 and i let off the gas itll go down to about 55 and kick hard into drive... any suggestions on my newly aquired pains?

Old 03-23-2011, 08:48 AM
BamaRam97
Veteran

Could you possibly be loosing fluid around the water pump? The coolant could leak out and get on your belt causing the high pitch squeal and making a horrible burnt smell. You may want to check that.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Doesn't the SCT tuner raise the shift points for fourth gear, and TCC engage?

Old 03-24-2011, 12:18 PM
dvowicker
Rookie
Unhappy

Yes it does and I see no coolant coming out

Old 03-24-2011, 12:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think your upshift problem is "normal" for a truck with the tuner. For downshifting, might want to check TV cable adjustment.

Coolant leaks....... can be fun. I also have mystery coolant loss, but, no obvious signs of a leak, no puddle under the truck, no staining anywhere that I can see.... etc. it just.... vanishes.

How old is your serpentine belt? Any dirt in the groves? Pulleys? Any oil?

Old 03-24-2011, 01:28 PM
dodgeboy1979
All Star

some small amounts of coolant will evaporate or vapourize from the resevoir, that is quite normal, especially if it is really hot out and you have had your truck working hard.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:38 PM
Carl2206
Banned

Originally Posted by dodgeboy1979
some small amounts of coolant will evaporate or vapourize from the resevoir, that is quite normal, especially if it is really hot out and you have had your truck working hard.
i shall x2 this statement......

Old 03-24-2011, 04:50 PM
DodgeTheDadRamTheDaughter
Rookie

i had a crazy coolant loss problem before to where there were no visible leaks, then i notice a little bit of moisture randomly near the weep hole on the water pump, kind of hard to see with everything in the way and not a big a dripping of coolant either which is why i think i was losing coolant through my water pump but the heat was drying/causing it to evaporate before i noticed. After about a two years of this it finally turned more into a small drip but not so much that i would notice it on the ground. Then the pump just up and went the bearing was shot and it really started to leak.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:11 PM
dvowicker
Rookie

Well.ill check my weep hole and see if I see anything but it only did that downshift thing that one time so im not sure about that and im thinking the smell is brakes because when I accelerate its pullin to the left bad and when I brake its pulling to the right. And it seems that that is where the smell is coming through at

Old 03-24-2011, 06:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Seized caliper or stuck on the guides, or soft line gone bad.

Quick Reply: one thing after another