2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission adjustment gone wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 05:51 PM
BigJBones
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Transmission adjustment gone wrong?

I made this adjusment. On the front one I used the 'E' socket w/a 1/4" to 3/8" adaptor. So, I hope that's gonna be correct. (72" lbs & backed off 1 7/8 turn) The rear one (which is inside the pan & square) I used a 1/4" drive 5/16" 8-point socket. I couldn't get the torque wrench to break before the socket slipped off the bolt. As you know the bolt is rounded on the corners & the socket is not, being an 8-point socket. However, I did get it as tight as it would go before the socket slipped & then backed it off the 3 turns. It's now shifting somewhat hard and kinda shutters as you lift off the brake. I did the filter and oil change a few months ago & have just done the adjustment a few weeks ago. I don't smell any 'burnt cork' as my Dad told me I would if the bands are burning. ('99 5.9, 2WD, Ext Cab which should be the 47RH, no?). I got the adjustment info from http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/transmi...T_band_adj.htm

Last edited by BigJBones; 03-25-2011 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Mispelling
Old 03-25-2011, 06:18 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

They both tighten to 72" lbs, the front one you back off 2 7/8 , and the rear one back out 2 turns. You do not have a 47re . You've got a 46re.

Don't drive anymore until you do it right.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Importantly, that is 72 INCH pounds. (about six foot pounds.)

Old 03-25-2011, 07:02 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why did they need adjusting anyway?

Old 03-25-2011, 07:11 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might want to Pm the great PURPLE on this one(dont use a cheap torque wrench) and hope for the best, i got 135,000 plus on my trans withouhgt zero adjustments, now knock on wood , without any probs....

Last edited by DukesOfHazzard; 03-26-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:57 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJBones
.... I couldn't get the torque wrench to break before the socket slipped off the bolt. As you know the bolt is rounded on the corners & the socket is not, being an 8-point socket. However, I did get it as tight as it would go before the socket slipped & then backed it off the 3 turns. It's now shifting somewhat hard and kinda shutters as you lift off the brake. I did the filter and oil change a few months ago & have just done the adjustment a few weeks ago. ......

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Importantly, that is 72 INCH pounds. (about six foot pounds.)
^^Exactly. Now, I think you'll get in the general vicinity because 72inch/lbs is what is suppose to be what it takes to fully tighten. Going 72foot/lbs just stretches stuff out, crams stuff together in an odd fashion.
I think at most you'd be off 1/2 turn??
The only way to strip a hex nut with 6ft/lbs is if your crooked, you have the incorrect size socket, the bolt/nut is very small(3/32nds) Otherwise, you way overdid it.
If your shuddering, I'd say your too tight and that the band is clamping too hard and therfore causing it to pulse/shudder. This is verd bad for the band. It creates lot of heat and hot spots in the band. You can throw in some differential friction modifier to reduce the chatter. If it works, then you know you gotta pull the pan and lossen up one or more adjusters depending where the shudder was. Only thing is you'll never know exactly what's good with the modifier in there but you'll know it is your tranny that the shudder is indeed coming from.
Engine issue's can arise on upshifts/downshifts but generally right after not at the same time. Modifier will tell you if its engine or tranny related while smoothing out your shifts. One 7oz tube is plenty.

Quick Reply: Transmission adjustment gone wrong?