2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cam and Lifters

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 11:14 AM
lazyboy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam and Lifters

Am building from ground zero and about ready to pull trigger on cam and lifters. Does any one have a proven combination they would be willing to share am running sct also so a known tune would be nice too (I paid for the custom so can get it thru hemi fever) but would like permission to use some one elses proven tune if possible. trial and error is not a direction I want to go on a brand new motor.
Goal is as much torque as possable. very streetable and pass emissions. not asking for much huh?

thanks in advance
Doug

oops
stock 360 no bore, stock intake, heads match ported and polished and stock throttle body polished slight port.

Last edited by lazyboy; 03-26-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lazyboy
Am building from ground zero and about ready to pull trigger on cam and lifters. Does any one have a proven combination they would be willing to share am running sct also so a known tune would be nice too (I paid for the custom so can get it thru hemi fever) but would like permission to use some one elses proven tune if possible. trial and error is not a direction I want to go on a brand new motor.
Goal is as much torque as possable. very streetable and pass emissions. not asking for much huh?

thanks in advance
Doug

oops
stock 360 no bore, stock intake, heads match ported and polished and stock throttle body polished slight port.
Lifters where ever they are the cheapest...If your planning on going even with a mild cam, re-place the stock springs, it's easy to drop some Mopar .525 or .600 springs on stock heads, no milling required...But you will need the Mopar matching retainers.

Google "Sausage Cam"...It's nice litttle cam, works with stock heads, as long as you upgrade the springs as mentioned, but with any cam you should use adjustable rockers...It all add$ up.

EDIT: You can't share tunes with an SCT, but Sean can dial your tune in based on your mods.

Last edited by Adobedude; 03-26-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:54 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lazyboy
Goal is as much torque as possable.
Gears....

Old 03-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Smashed-And-RAM
Professional

Originally Posted by zman17
Gears....
Agreed. You could make 500+ torque, but if it's getting eaten by the gears in the differential you'll never be able to use it.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:11 PM
Adobedude
All Star

Originally Posted by Smashed-And-RAM
Agreed. You could make 500+ torque, but if it's getting eaten by the gears in the differential you'll never be able to use it.
Guess I'm confused here...???

Old 03-26-2011, 12:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Matching your gears to your application/tire size. You want your gears set up such that you engine spends most of its time within its power band. Basically, if you follow the general recommendations for gears here, 4.10's with 33's, 4.56 with 35's, you should be golden. You don't want to waste a fair bit of your newfound torque by simply generating heat in the transmission, by using oversize tires, with stock gears. Your transmission will thank you for it as well.

If you move your powerband up significantly in the RPM range, just bump gear selection a notch as well.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:12 PM
lazyboy
Rookie

running 5 spd wich gives me a little give but cannot afford to change the gears too. dont know the gears but they are pretty high thus the reason I want serious low end torque. only tow around 6k and hasnt been a problem with the 318 and do like good gas mileage when not towing.
am seeing information on 1.6 1.7 rockers but since I can choose my cam should I get the lift-duration from the cam instead. sounds like a sensable thing to do if you dont want to get into a cam.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Going to the 1.7 rockers, is equivalent to installing a higher lift cam. Duration numbers will change a bit (for the @.050 values....), Its also cheaper, easier, and doesn't require a custom tune.

But, since you are rebuilding your engine anyway....... choice is up to you. Just make sure you valve springs will support your final lift numbers.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:59 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

man are cams for 2nd gen ram expensive or what? i was just looking on summit and the cheapest cam was like $310. i have been looking at cams and kits for my 81 and the cheapest cam was about $63 and the cheapest cam and lifter kit is $111.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:43 PM
Adobedude
All Star

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Matching your gears to your application/tire size. You want your gears set up such that you engine spends most of its time within its power band. Basically, if you follow the general recommendations for gears here, 4.10's with 33's, 4.56 with 35's, you should be golden. You don't want to waste a fair bit of your newfound torque by simply generating heat in the transmission, by using oversize tires, with stock gears. Your transmission will thank you for it as well.

If you move your powerband up significantly in the RPM range, just bump gear selection a notch as well.
He didn't make himself clear. I didn't see how a differntial was going to kill torque unless it's FUBARED.

Quick Reply: Cam and Lifters