2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tranny/transfer case vents?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 09:37 PM
blackoutdodge
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile tranny/transfer case vents?

so is there a way to run hoses up from these vents or how big are these vents and ways to protect them from water? also putting a 3inch body lift on with in the next couple weeks any tips? any advice greatly app. thanks!

Old 03-28-2011, 10:11 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The t-case has a little tube (1/4" or so) with a hose that runs up to the upper bell housing bolts. Same one as trans dipstick on my truck.

The tranny vent is at the top of the tranny pump inside the bell housing behind the torque converter. There is no way to plug it without pulling the tranny and disassembling it. When I rebuilt my tranny I tapped the front pump and plugged the hole. Then I drilled and tapped the top of the case and installed a barbed fitting with a 90 so it lays flat on the tranny. I then ran a hose up into the engine compartment. There are write ups about how to do this on pavement sucks and pirate 4x4.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:02 PM
blackoutdodge
Rookie

alright thanks,

Old 03-29-2011, 05:04 PM
blackoutdodge
Rookie

any advice for trying to waterproof the cap and rotor, everytime i get into a hole it gets wet and bogs down. is there like a sealer for it or put somthing over it? thanks

Old 03-29-2011, 09:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

What is see a lot of folks using is....... hair spray....... (Do NOT spray it in there on a hot/running motor, you really won't like the results....)

Another method I have seen used is a sectional piece of an inner tube of the correct caliber, so that it fits nice and snug around the cap/dist mounting area. (kinda like a giant, fat, rubber band.)

Dielectric grease on all the terminals. (on the inside..) Both ends of the wires.....

Good quality plug wires, properly routed.

Make sure the hood seal above the motor there is in place, and in good condition.....

Old 03-31-2011, 01:31 AM
blackoutdodge
Rookie

thanks very much.

Quick Reply: tranny/transfer case vents?