2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

exhaust leaks

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 04:55 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default exhaust leaks

hey guys, been a while but i keep having this problem and i want to see what you guys think..

have my pacesetter headers..
magnaflow "hi-flow y pipe and cat,,,

nothing else after.. lol

sounds like my pacesetters to y pipe connections always come loss, always, i have lock tightend them, changed bolts... everything.. and i cant ever get them to seal right, i have had that leak for ever, and i am tired of it, putting time into my pipes now so i want to take care of them...

anyone had problems with those headers or y pipe.. what would be your guys suggestions?

Old 04-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Pacmanloads
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take it your in the mud and Water a lot by your pic . I would have them welded . My exhaust is welded and I have no leaking issues . Sounds like heat and cooling is causing your leak .

Old 04-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Jb weld, ruff up the inner/outer surface first so it has something to "grab".... or just weld them.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:04 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

i do bring it in the mud and water a good bit.. but i had this problem ever since i got the truck, have changed the headers, y pipe and still had the issue, is there supposed to be a gasket or dough nut in there to help seal or anything?

if its as easy as welding it, doesnt it have to be able to twist like from the motor twist.. or am i just thinking wrong?

Old 04-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Pacmanloads
Captain

Mine is welded front to back . I have it hanging with rubber muffler hangers and I have had no problems . It needs to be able to move some . If you are leaking at the 3 bolt flange, Yes there should be a gasket in between .

Old 04-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Pacmanloads
Captain

I take it you have short tubes with the flange correct ?

Old 04-02-2011, 08:13 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

yea i have no gaskets.. just headers, to the y pipe bowl.. i would think it would be kind hard to weld in there isnt it.. i think i may do the whole jb weld thing unless i can get some like replacement seals..
yea i have the pacesetter shortys..

two bolt flange

Old 04-02-2011, 08:43 PM
atthewmartin114
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldnt weld it solid with out putting a flex pipe in first. that what i ended up doing for a buddy of mine. i would being going to napa they make split flanges that you can replace the y pipe flange with then i would tighten the **** out of them and i normally run the bolts from the bottom so then you can but a standard nut on the top of that i put a locking nut. if all else fails tighten it cold until it stops leading then weld the nut in place. you can cut it out and replace it if need be later.

i wouldnt use jb weld on the headers they need to have vibration room so they dont back the nuts out of the head. i would put a high temp cylicone it will seal and allow for the vibration.

if your going to solid weld i would suggest getting to flew pipes this will allow the body to move and not put pressure on exhaust.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:23 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

ok so welding wouldnt be hte best.. now what would be the "proper way" to fix this problem.. cause thats what i need.. lol

or i may do the high temp sylicone and some lock nuts and lock washers, and possibly tack the nut.. or double nut it..

Quick Reply: exhaust leaks