2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

End-all Be-all plenum thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 02:11 AM
Sonocativo
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I'm not sure it's even possible for oil to get into the coolant.... the oil passages are far away from any coolant passages, and even those, aren't pressurized. Oil in coolant is likely trans fluid......
This can be true if radiator is bad, Overheating not always, depends on how bad its leaking but that can tell you a sign if its smoking out the pipe and smells sweet. I agree its possibly trans fluid. Let it sit and float to top and dip a paper towel in the radiator, what color is the oil on it red/brown?

Old 11-29-2016, 09:55 PM
Wtd85

Originally Posted by Sonocativo
That's why I say its probly more of a head gasket to get oil in coolant.
the trans fluid on the dip stick is clean also. I dipped a rag into the coolant and it comes out a sandy brown color. radiator is less the 15k ago. Working on a very limited budget hoping to prolong this poor old girls life just a little longer

Old 11-29-2016, 10:52 PM
Sonocativo
Professional

Originally Posted by Wtd85
the trans fluid on the dip stick is clean also. I dipped a rag into the coolant and it comes out a sandy brown color. radiator is less the 15k ago. Working on a very limited budget hoping to prolong this poor old girls life just a little longer
sounds like rust/corrosion in the coolant system? Does the coolant in radiator bubble when running and hot? Compression from cylinders will do that if the head gasket is blown, cracked head or block.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:06 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonocativo
sounds like rust/corrosion in the coolant system? Does the coolant in radiator bubble when running and hot? Compression from cylinders will do that if the head gasket is blown, cracked head or block.
Yeah, I think rust is indeed the answer. If the cooling system hasn't been properly maintained, it can get pretty nasty...... I have a 92 Van that it seems the previous owners didn't do anything with it....... I have flushed the cooling system several times already, and changed the radiator, and I STILL get ugly crap showing up. So, I just flush the system a couple times a year, and make sure that it has a proper coolant mix..... I long for the days when I could get flush chemicals that actually worked......

Old 12-26-2016, 08:51 PM
Eric250es
Default Can plenum issue cause oil leak on top rear of engine?

i ask because I have a 2007 Chrysler aspen 5.7 with a oil leak starting on the top rear of engine. I didn't want to pull of throttle body but I removed everything else so I could get a good look back there.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Eric250es
i ask because I have a 2007 Chrysler aspen 5.7 with a oil leak starting on the top rear of engine. I didn't want to pull of throttle body but I removed everything else so I could get a good look back there.
Wrong place to ask that. You have a completely different engine/intake than what this thread applies to.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:41 PM
Eric250es

Wrong place to ask that. You have a completely different engine/intake than what this thread applies to.
. Whoops sorry about that.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Eric250es
. Whoops sorry about that.

You ain't the first, and I seriously doubt you will be the last. It's all good. Did you find the right section to post in?

Old 12-27-2016, 08:03 PM
Eric250es

You ain't the first, and I seriously doubt you will be the last. It's all good. Did you find the right section to post in?
I did. Thanks. This forum has been very helpful. Was unaware of the solenoids under the intake manifold.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:07 PM
Tboned
Rookie

Had an extra bolt left over from left side of engine. Any ideas ? Its not the one that holds dipstick..larger size. I placed it nxt to manifold bolt for reference.

Quick Reply: End-all Be-all plenum thread