2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

End-all Be-all plenum thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 07:37 PM
1974dodgeowner
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am rebuilding a 96 360. Need to do the plenum aswell. But a rebuild gasket kit comes with all gaskets.. So does every intake rebuild kit. lol I really don't need doubles of the bolts and gaskets. So I am thinking washers on the original plenum bolts or just shorter bolts. Its difficult to find a hardware rebuild kit for these things, "pump,bearings, rings and so on.That Doesn't include pistons. Is it a must to replace pistons in these engines? I have never come across this problem before. I do alot of chevy engines, and LA mopar engines. My first magnum.Is there a reason the kits all include pistons? I need one piston, not 8 haha

Old 07-21-2019, 08:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Need to measure your cylinder bores, and see if they need to loving touch of a machine shop, to make sure they are all still in spec. (or, put them back in spec, as the case may be......) So, kits don't generally come with pistons, you get them separate, in the correct size, and they get to charge you more...... Chrysler small blocks (magnums) never got quite as much love as the SBC......

Old 07-21-2019, 08:48 PM
1974dodgeowner
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Need to measure your cylinder bores, and see if they need to loving touch of a machine shop, to make sure they are all still in spec. (or, put them back in spec, as the case may be......) So, kits don't generally come with pistons, you get them separate, in the correct size, and they get to charge you more...... Chrysler small blocks (magnums) never got quite as much love as the SBC......
Yeah I have to dig out the micrometers and what not and relearn how to read them haha. I used to use the local machine shop for the measuring and hot tanking and cam bearing replacement. but they closed. So now Im having to reteach myself a few things. If I am reading the specs right, .0002 or 2 thousands is the max allowable wear in the cylinder?

Last edited by 1974dodgeowner; 07-21-2019 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:32 AM
Kyle Harrington
Default Suddenly

Ok I hope I dont look like a D.A. here but I havent seen mention of it anywhere. So if I'm in wrong area or anything here plz feel free to delete, but maybe point me in right direction 1st... I have a 97 Ram 5.9 L V8 360 I bought you used about year-and-a-half ago check engine light started flashing maybe a week ago just the other day dies going down the highway no sign of anything no noises nothing..I eased her home very slowly (@10-12 mph is all I could get anyhow... downhill). Just put new plugs and wires cap&rotor & water pump all less than a yr ago. So my ? Is this, how fast could the plenum actually cause a drop on pwr?can it just poof all of sudden? havent ha d chance to crack open TB yet to check for oil but wanted to know how likely it is indeed plenum. TIA...

Old 08-19-2019, 07:30 AM
5.9_MAGNUM_POWER
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds more like an 02 sensor problem.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:03 AM
Twmays
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Harrington
... check engine light started flashing maybe a week ago just the other day dies going down the highway no sign of anything no noises nothing..I eased her home very slowly (@10-12 mph is all I could get anyhow... downhill). Just put new plugs and wires cap&rotor & water pump all less than a yr ago....
Smarter ppl than I will be along shortly, but a •flashing• engine light usually signifies a significant misfire.
I’d start looking at the plugs/rotor/wires, then the ignition coil... followed by investigating the timing.
Of course, if you were driving it with the flashing MIL, then you could have melted the cat by now too, which could account for the luck of power.

Plenum would not be my first thought, though would likely get repaired by the time I was done throwing parts at it.

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Kyle Harrington (08-20-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 10:27 AM
Kyle Harrington

Just all of a sudden like that though? No warning whatsoever other than flashing mil

Old 08-19-2019, 01:24 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Harrington
Just all of a sudden like that though? No warning whatsoever other than flashing mil
Yeah or can happen like that. I don't believe it to be the plenum. Although the plenum can cause a number 8 misfire

Old 08-19-2019, 04:47 PM
Kyle Harrington
Default Wires

There was a wire with wire actually showing shorting out against exhaust manifold. replaced the wire. Checked all the plugs they look good(ish) did notice however a gritty oil-like build up inside of 1 or 2 plug housings. Can't be good for it obviously. Still sounds as if gargling a lot of air when throttling up, and I'm not smart on a lot of mechanic stuff but I'm smart enough to know its way to much. Like almost kills the truck. I'll try to get a clip or a vid this evening hopefully. If that might help.

Old 11-03-2019, 06:40 PM
M tspace
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1996 Dodge Ram 2500 2wd 5.9 V8 VIN Z 120,000 miles

Truck had no CEL but had 40-45 mph shimmy indicative of a random misfire. Did coil, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, wire reroute as per TSB. United Motor Products tune up kit and coil (lifetime warranty) with Champion plugs from RockAuto ($73 with tax and shipping). Number 8 and number 7 spark plugs had white ash buildup. The rest were fine. Cleaned throttle body and IAC valve with a little B-12 Chemtool. Replaced idle purge vacuum line 'cause it was shot (bigger of two rubber hoses on throttle body). Replaced PCV. Truck runs like new... for now.

While I had the throttle body off I looked down into the Intake manifold and there it was (cue Psycho music)... the oily residue from a blown plenum plate gasket. Explains the ash buildup on number 8 and number 7 plugs.

I just ordered a new aluminum plenum plate from this guy on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-360-M...ty!14424!US!-1

and a Dorman 615-310 from here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Inta...012.m1985#rwid

Had a 10% coupon for ebay which paid my NY sales tax ;(

Total for plate and gasket kit was $95. Will install soon and give update.

P.S. Thanks to everyone at this site. The info is worth a million. -M

Last edited by M tspace; 11-03-2019 at 07:44 PM.

Quick Reply: End-all Be-all plenum thread