2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

End-all Be-all plenum thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 12:09 PM
articsilber323
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tested the cat with a infrared temperature gun and was not showing a clog

also sometimes when at idle i will get a random missing for a little while right after i start it up

it has new plugs in it

Old 06-25-2011, 01:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Hows the cap and rotor?

Old 06-25-2011, 09:12 PM
tatitup8
Veteran

alrighty, got it all fixed, now im putting her back together, PROBLEM son of a bitch friend "mechanic" told me 75ft lbs on the torque for putting the keg back in.. it broke one of the bolts when i was tightening it, what EXACTLY is the torque for these bolts?

Old 06-25-2011, 09:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

could you get the broken bolt out?

I think final torque is like 12 foot pounds.... there is a specific torque sequence to follow, should be in the FSM.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:45 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This is what happens when people don't atleast browse through a manual first.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:38 AM
tatitup8
Veteran

its all set and done, got the bolts out, torqued everything to 12 ft lbs. i removed and reassembled a little different than you guys did, but everyone has their own ways. was able to get the bolts out with some pb buster and vice grips. took a good hour or so, didnt even take the "fuel line release thingy" with the special tool, i took both of the rails out and just tied them back. one side of the pan had NO GASKET left and the other side was nothing but blowout. only started the truck up to make sure it ran. too tired to take it for a drive now. 16 hour job will get you! thanks for all the help guys. appreciate it dearly!

Old 06-27-2011, 10:08 PM
msmith5150
Amateur

Hello all!

Started my plenum project today. Did the method where you remove the fan and shroud, it's nice to be able to stand in the engine compartment to get in there and clean the valley under the intake

Got all the stuff from Hughes, got the full Accel tune up kit. The price blows away anything local. I mean I literally saved over 100 bucks, lol.

Anywho, both the front-most intake bolts broke. Well, the passenger side one has been broken already for who knows how long. It gave resistance to turning it just because of the rust that filled the hole. The driver side front bolt broke, and I knew it was going to when I started turning it

There was about 1" or so of both bolts still sticking up when I removed the manifold. I used that PB Blaster penetrate and beat on the top of the remaining bolts and fronts of the heads with a hammer. I fairly new large pair of Vise-Grips and I got those suckers out!

Clean up took me a while, I'm pretty picky. Mosquitoes began feasting heavily on me so I was unable to continue. So, hopefully the rest goes well tomorrow and I get it finished before I have to go to work!

Old 06-28-2011, 12:22 PM
thedudge

Instead of unbolting you fan and the rest that goes with that job. i usually grab a 6 or 7 foot long 2x6 and just place it accross the engine bay. it works well if your only 150lbs and if you can work while in a superman pose. i get my hughes manifold in on thursday. my buddy and i have a bet on how many bolts are going to break hahah

Old 06-29-2011, 10:13 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
What can you use if you're 180lbs???
3/4inch plywood

I prefer the fan/shroud method myself, especially when delving more than wrist deep into the engine.

Sorry guys, been way too busy lately to check in on DF. Working 90 hrs/wk will do that.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:19 AM
stangs13
Rookie

Took a few hrs to get a head start on my plenum tonight, got clear down to the manifold, I cleaned up the bolts and blasted them good.. gunna let them soak over night and hit them with some more in the morning before I go get my manifold bolts. I broke off some sort of vacuum line looking thing on the front passenger side of my throttle body, dry rotted tubing it looks like, ill get pics tomorrow to help Id it better! My throttle body is horrible, and my plenum is the worst I have seen through all the pictures..I can't wait to see how my truck runs after its all fixed!

Quick Reply: End-all Be-all plenum thread