2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

End-all Be-all plenum thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 10:37 PM
bargeman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spillage
Cloyes C3028X DRTS... got mine for less than $40.
Ok thanks, now have to make a decision on the gaskets. Im looking at rock auto now and they offer the felpro with a sleeve or not with a sleeve? Can you explain that and are they including the water pump gaskets? While we are at it what are your suggestions on water pumps?

Old 08-29-2015, 03:46 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Definitely the FelPro gasket set.
The sleeve is to repair a grooved crankshaft, where the seal runs... inspect to deturnined if needed.

The kit should include the water pump gasket, timing cover gasket, small tube of sealant, crankshaft seal, and the crankshaft sleeve (if you chose that option).

Old 08-29-2015, 09:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Skip the one with the sleeve. I have had zero success with those. (and, it goes on the harmonic balancer. ) If the balancer is scored to the point you think it needs a sleeve, replace it.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:57 PM
alaskaguy
Rookie

I am having the issue of hitting 35-55 mph and my truck just wanting to die as though it's choking. I have to pump the gas just for it not to die. At low speeds I see the rpms drop every once in a while but mainly everything noticable is at 35-55 mph. Does this sound like a blown plenum/clogged cat?

Old 09-21-2015, 09:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Possibly. Have a look down the throttle bores, see any oil?

Old 09-27-2015, 09:27 PM
bargeman
Professional

Pulled the plenum off today and the gasket wasnt blown out. But there was atleast a couple of table spoons of oil in the pan. I can only guess the oil is from the pcv valve. Been researching oil catchcans and will begin looking into installing one.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:15 PM
GunnyZXR
Default Newbie about to install Hughes/Edelbrock intake.....

Newbie here!

Had the oil consumption issue on my 2002 and decided to have a local mechanic install it for time purposes. No problems and oil consumption stopped, mileage increased a little over 1 mpg. Installation of Hughes intake kit cost $600ish though.

I found a Dodge Ram 1500 Indy Edition for cheap with only 87k on it. After driving it a bit I discovered oil consumption. Ordered another intake in hopes of having the same results. Going to do this install myself in the next couple of weekends.

Only anxiety I have is keeping track of which bolts, nuts, washers, hoses and whatever else, goes where on reassembly. I am about 10 pages into this thread which leaves only 80+ to go?

I'll apologize now, in advance, if I ask a question that has been already discussed here! LOL

Old 10-30-2015, 03:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by GunnyZXR
Newbie here!

Had the oil consumption issue on my 2002 and decided to have a local mechanic install it for time purposes. No problems and oil consumption stopped, mileage increased a little over 1 mpg. Installation of Hughes intake kit cost $600ish though.

I found a Dodge Ram 1500 Indy Edition for cheap with only 87k on it. After driving it a bit I discovered oil consumption. Ordered another intake in hopes of having the same results. Going to do this install myself in the next couple of weekends.

Only anxiety I have is keeping track of which bolts, nuts, washers, hoses and whatever else, goes where on reassembly. I am about 10 pages into this thread which leaves only 80+ to go?

I'll apologize now, in advance, if I ask a question that has been already discussed here! LOL
Welcome to DF!

I just put the bolts where they go in the various brackets and such. There really aren't that many, and they all pretty much just go in one or two spots..... You should have fun with it.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:02 AM
Snowfan
Professional

As you take each bolt out, wrap with 2" masking tape and mark with sharpie location. All the intake manifold bolts, compressor too, are the same so you mostly just need to mark alt and accessory bracket. For example, view the bracket bolts like time on a clock. mark tape acc 3:00, acc 7:00.

Put anti-seize on outside 4 manifold bolts as they tend to rust and break.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:41 AM
GunnyZXR

Originally Posted by Snowfan
As you take each bolt out, wrap with 2" masking tape and mark with sharpie location. All the intake manifold bolts, compressor too, are the same so you mostly just need to mark alt and accessory bracket. For example, view the bracket bolts like time on a clock. mark tape acc 3:00, acc 7:00.

Put anti-seize on outside 4 manifold bolts as they tend to rust and break.

Good Idea on the marking of bolts, thanks!

Dumb questions, but where are the "outside 4 manifold bolts"? (for corners?) and,

reading my instructions from Hughes, they state that "this manifold does not have provisions for the I.A.T sensor, which is good." it goes on to say to cut an X in the intake tube and push the sensor in and then reconnect the wire. Any"lessons learned" doing this?

I'm up to page 56 of this thread so I apologize if this question has already been discussed.

Quick Reply: End-all Be-all plenum thread