2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C Clutch Fuse Keeps Blowing

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 05:46 PM
Travis Boone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue

So I found the diodes on Amazon ordered them then found the pigtail connector at O'Reilly's. Cancelled the order and we'll see if the wiring harness is correct when I get it tomorrow.

I didn't want to cut open the connector.

Old 07-19-2023, 07:47 PM
roezy37
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have the same problem. Replaced the clutch and coil. Did the same thing. Asked a dodge mechanic to the tune of $31.00 and he said bad compressor. Replaced compressor, charged it up and immediately blew fuse. Got to looking at these 20 ten amp fuses and after blowing about 10 of them the gage of the fuse seems smaller. Took an existing 10 amp from the fuse box(which seem to have a larger fuse wire) plugged it into the clutch coil socket and the AC has been working. Cold air. Only posted mine yesterday so I will let everybody know if the red fuses I bought are marked wrong such as a 7.5 or 5 amp and color wrong. Fingers crossed. To hot to not have AC.

Old 07-19-2023, 08:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,201 Likes on 2,953 Posts

Also, there are two different types of fuses.... the really sensitive ones, and the not-so sensitive ones. There are cool technical terms for them, but, for the life of me, I can't recall at the moment.

Old 07-19-2023, 10:40 PM
roezy37
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Also, there are two different types of fuses.... the really sensitive ones, and the not-so sensitive ones. There are cool technical terms for them, but, for the life of me, I can't recall at the moment.
These were just standard auto fuses just like from o'reilly's. The fuse part of these just look smaller then the other 10's in the fuse box. I'm hoping that I am right about being the wrong amperage. I'm 86 and I've seen a lot of fuses.

Old 07-20-2023, 06:30 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

According to my owners manual the ac/horn fuse is supposed to be a yellow 20 amp.
the really sensitive ones, and the not-so sensitive ones
slow blow, Google description...
A Slow-blow fuse is a type of fuse which can handle a temporary surge current which exceeds the current rating of the fuse. A slow-blow fuse does not blow for a temporary surge current; it must receive a sustained elevated current above its current rating for a period of time before it blows.

Quick Reply: A/C Clutch Fuse Keeps Blowing