2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering problem?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 01:29 AM
VinsBlackRam
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering problem?!?!

So my steering in my 98 dodge ram 1500 has alot of play in it but the wheels dont straighten out on its own. is the steering gearbox shot?

Old 04-08-2011, 10:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Need to have a look, and find out where your slop is. inspect ALL of the front steering components, starting up at the steering column. (a bushing in the base of the column is notorious for being sloppy.)

That said, the steering boxes on these trucks aren't the best..... There are adjustment procedures that might rescue it, or, you could just replace it. Don't bother with a Reman box though, you will end up with the same problem, get a NEW box.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:59 AM
zeusmann

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Need to have a look, and find out where your slop is. inspect ALL of the front steering components, starting up at the steering column. (a bushing in the base of the column is notorious for being sloppy.)

That said, the steering boxes on these trucks aren't the best..... There are adjustment procedures that might rescue it, or, you could just replace it. Don't bother with a Reman box though, you will end up with the same problem, get a NEW box.
Hey My truck is the same way and I did what you are saying. The only spot I feel slop in is when I grab the column before the steering box and twist it my steering wheel will move with it. Would this be the bushing you mentioned or the steering box?

Old 04-08-2011, 12:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

if the shaft going into the steering box is moving, (rotating), but, the pitman arm isn't moving...... the box is sloppy. You could try adjusting it, and probably get rid of most of the slop at the box..... but, if after adjusting, it is still sloppy, all you can do is replace it.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:12 PM
zeusmann

Originally Posted by HeyYou
if the shaft going into the steering box is moving, (rotating), but, the pitman arm isn't moving...... the box is sloppy. You could try adjusting it, and probably get rid of most of the slop at the box..... but, if after adjusting, it is still sloppy, all you can do is replace it.
Where exactly would that be on the box? I looked and couldnt find the screw.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

There are two adjustments on the box. At least, two to do it 'properly'..... One is the plug in the front of the box, that the shaft runs thru. Need a particular tool for that one..... but, a lotta folks have just made one. The other adjuster is on top of the box, right above the sector shaft. Have to crawl under the truck and look for it, as I believe it is 'hidden' by the fan shroud from above. There is a set screw (alan head), and a lock nut.

Grab the factory service manual from the FAQ section here, process is in there. Not too bad of a job.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:59 PM
generaljr
Professional

How about get ride of the gear box, pitman arm,idler, adjusting sleeves, center link and put a steering rack just finished yesterday on mine and works great

Old 04-08-2011, 01:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by generaljr
How about get ride of the gear box, pitman arm,idler, adjusting sleeves, center link and put a steering rack just finished yesterday on mine and works great
2 or 4wd? Pics?

Old 04-08-2011, 01:41 PM
generaljr
Professional

2wd I don't know how to post pics am new on this thing of forums. I spend like $300 pavos in parts but I work in a farm and have acces to steel leftovers. and 1000 hours of brain work and a few of hand work, but once it is done it looks easy and simple and ends in less wearing parts and a very nice steering, sorry if its a bad writing but is no my language and is hard to make it correct.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Close enough. You get your point across, and that's all that really matters.

To post pics, upload your pics to someplace like photobucket, or imageshack, they will have a little box under the image that you can copy and then paste into a post here. (Use the image tags version.)

Quick Reply: Steering problem?!?!