2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

couple of issues, which one first?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 10:06 AM
MeanMagnum
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple of issues, which one first?

I've known that my truck needs the plenum kit from hughes for a while. its been useing about a quart every 3000 mi. and i can see oil when looking down the intake holes. I was waiting till warm weather to fix this and well now my procrastination has caused what i believe to be a clogged cat/ bad O2 sensor. It now idles like it missing and runs rough with no power and bad gas mileage. Obviously both need to be fixed, but my budget will only allow me one per week. so do i fix the plenum then the cat. or....cat then the plenum the next week? Its running like sh** now, but was manageable when the cat was good. so im leaning towards doing the cat first then waiting a week or two to do the plenum. thoughts???

Old 04-10-2011, 10:29 AM
dipsherry
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok i know my truck plus my bros truck had the same problem...my opinion cut the cat out clamp in a pipe for a week ($30) MAX then change the plenum. Cause u figure you do the cat first you got a new cat ALOT more money than a new plenum. and all you do is drive your truck for 2 weeks you fill your cat back up with nasty burned oil. so think on it thats just my Opinion

Old 04-10-2011, 10:30 AM
dipsherry
Record Breaker

i would however never reccomend running a truck without a cat. Cause that illegal lol :-)

Old 04-10-2011, 10:51 AM
ryan0714
Record Breaker

i agree, cut the pipe behind the cat and gut it out, then just get a new 02 sensor for now, it will get you by until the next check, unless you have that much oil blowing down, but that would be alot............

Old 04-10-2011, 12:15 PM
MeanMagnum
Amateur

Well ive been out messing around the last couple hours and also determined that the wires and plugs, and cap and rotor could use some replacing. When I pulled the wires off the plug there was corrosion in there similar to battery term. corrosion. The plugs themselves looked good (nice color and not worn looking). Also when I pulled the front o2 sensor and started it, it ran the same. Does this mean its bad? is it pretty straight forward as far as changing the cap,rotor on these besides the tight space?

Old 04-10-2011, 12:18 PM
dipsherry
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MeanMagnum
Well ive been out messing around the last couple hours and also determined that the wires and plugs, and cap and rotor could use some replacing. When I pulled the wires off the plug there was corrosion in there similar to battery term. corrosion. The plugs themselves looked good (nice color and not worn looking). Also when I pulled the front o2 sensor and started it, it ran the same. Does this mean its bad? is it pretty straight forward as far as changing the cap,rotor on these besides the tight space?
man to b honest the cap and rotor is ALOT easier with the intake off...also i got a set of oem wires with 40xxx miles that i would give to you for the shipping cost. Prolly $5 bucks if you want to go cheap just to get by. but as far as cap n rotor i would just wait till i did the plenum

Old 04-10-2011, 12:21 PM
MeanMagnum
Amateur

really that hard? looks like only the 2 screws to get it off, then switch wires from old to new, switch rotor, reinstall. no?

Old 04-10-2011, 12:56 PM
ghost4321
Professional

It's not hard, but it's really not hard with the intake off.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:57 AM
Novarider
Captain

I would do plenum first then the cat. If you do the cat first it will get oil in it again

Old 04-11-2011, 10:10 AM
dipsherry
Record Breaker

not that hard to get off or get hard just hope you have small hands and enjoy saying 4 letter words. I did mine in about 45 minutes but it did **** me off a few times

Quick Reply: couple of issues, which one first?